Temporary Ramp
My large breed dog needs to have surgery on his knee and is not to be jumping or running for a minimum of four to possibly eight weeks.
I am just going to build a simple straight ramp I know its not ideal but its only temporary. I have a total of about 48" of rise and a run of apprx 20 to 24'. It is still seems fairly steep so i am looking for ideas to make the ramp the least slippery as possible. My plan was to cover the ramp with carpet and then screw some 3/4" x 1 1/2 cleats over the carpet. I live in Minnesota so I will have to contend ice and snow. I am just looking for thoughts on what you guys think or recommend.

Thanks
Brent
Sounds like a pretty good plan. Problem is if the carpet gets wet and freezes it will be a problem. You might want to consider covering it when you are expecting precipitation.

When I was a kid (at least 50+ years ago), my Grandmother had concrete steps facing north covered in indoor/outdoor carpet outside in Wisconsin. Of course they would get wet/snow/ice. We used a hair dryer to make them usable. Probably why it isn't seen much outdoors anymore.

Good luck and speedy recovery
I used a roll of roofing, when our ramp got slippery. I didn't have to fasten it, the weight held it just fine, even with a wheelchair going up and down.
I'm in Tennessee, but grew up in Minnesota, I would think you're probably going to want to clear any snow, but the roofing does shed rain, so it might not ice too bad.
You could use a dark color, to help with the ice, as well.
I'd be inclined just to use cleats.
Uhoh  I made a training table for my griffon that was a lot steeper than you're planning and he had no trouble using the cleats.  They are about 6" apart.  I ripped them out of some 2X material, making them about 3/8" thick.  I don't think the carpeting would buy you much and be harder to keep clear of snow.
I think the rolled roofing or even shingles fastened down would be the best in the long run. No cleats nedded and it would be much easier to shovel. Cleats would be a pain to shovel around.
My Chesapeake Bay Retriever tore the ligaments/tendon in what I would call a "knee" but which the vet called an "elbow".  It required that the joint be milled to make a lap joint on each part and a stainless steel pivot was installed. 

The good news was that after the surgery and recuperation, he lived another 8 years and did fine.  The recuperation time was the absolute worst 4 weeks of my life.  He was in so much pain.  I know a Labrador Retriever that had the same surgery and was fine after a couple of weeks and never really suffered at all.

A steep ramp with cleats would have been an absolute no-no.  My dog required very modest amount of effort at best.  I live in a ranch house so it was just two 8" high steps which he negotiated easily.  Each step went to a 8' long landing.  So it was just two locations with one step each.

Based on my experience I would be inclined to make steps.  One step, then a three or four-foot landing, then another step.  Each 8" to 10" high. 

Our surgery was in the summer so I did not have to think about snow.  I would use the snowblower to clear a 12 foot x 12 foot section of the nearest lawn to the door.  He definitely will not want to negotiate any amount of snow. 

I found it easy to snow blow a section of my lawn when my dog got old.  The distance was small, and he did not have to fight the elements.  Cleaning up was simple in the cold weather.

I hope your dog has it easy like the Labrador Retriever. 

I had to take a month off from work to take care of mine.  Between the surgery and lost wages it cost over $10,000.00.  I would remind him often that I could have bought six replacements for the cost of his surgery.  He never seemed to feel guilty though.
Big Grin
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Can you build it with a 180 degree turn back with a landing at the end?  It doesn't have to be wide enough for a wheel chair, of course, nor meet any other ADA type requirements.  

Half the pitch, and maybe slap some dark paint with course sand on the walking surface while still tacky should make for good traction, and still be easy to shovel or broom off.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I built a ramp for my daughters great pyrenees it was  little steeper than the ADA requires but wit old carpet on it he did fine now he likes it to sit on
I don't think traction is the issue here.  The issue is that the vet will have cut through muscle to do the work and it will be painful to exert much effort.  Walking on a flat surface will be difficult enough.

The O.P. did not specify, but the only two operations I am aware of for the "knee" is a ligament replacement (which is only used for small breeds) or the joint replacement.  In any case I think this needs to be a gentle slope that is easy to negotiate.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.