woodworking vice lubricant and jaw thickness?
I have an older woodworking vice with the quick release.  I had to replace the jaws today so I took it apart.  I cleaned everything up good and then heated up some paste wax and applied it to any friction areas.  I've used oil before but was always told that would hold the dust, which I think is right.  Does anyone have a better solution?

How thick do you usually make your wooden "pads".  Mine were a little under 3/4".  I bet it doesn't make a lot of difference, but no reason to go too thick and reduce vice clamping ability.

Thanks
For the last decade or so I've been using good all birch 1/4" plywood and sticking it to the jaw faces with contact cement.  When they get ratty, out comes the lacquer thinner and a putty knife.  I keep a supply of pre-cut jaw liners.  That keeps the jaw thickness to a minimum.
I use this on most everything in my shop that moves.

[Image: 0006233800972_0600.png]
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Another Gulf Wax faithful here.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
At a shop where I volunteer, the table saw was getting stiff so I bought some Blaster Teflon Dry Lube and it worked great.  I've since added it to my Emmert vise and Unisaw with good results, too.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-9-3-.../202532762

[Image: blaster-lubricants-16-tdl-64_1000.jpg]