shed questions
If it's not on a permanent foundation you'll want to anchor it into the ground, especially if you are in hurricane country. Search online, there are various options for doing that.

Shed I built a number of years ago. Concrete piers below frost line. 12/12 roof pitch: need roof jacks to shingle this. Gravel underneath has discouraged critters from calling it home.

(01-09-2021, 01:10 PM)brax71 Wrote: I'm starting the layout on shed to be built, but I'm not savvy on this kind of construction.  I've watched gobs of YouTube videos on shed-builds, but still have a couple questions as I think through the design:

1.  Square vs Rectangle?  Any non-cosmetic reason to 'not' use a square layout?  County allows 150 square feet without a permit, so I'd thought about 12x12 to maximize space and simplify the use of the sheet goods.  

2.  Sloped roof instead of peak/gable?  Single slope 'looks' easier -- is it just a cosmetic decision?  (central Florida, so no snow load worries
Wink )

3.  4x4 post corner-post connection to ground OK???  I looked at the prefab sheds you can have delivered (not the HD/Lowes kits that you assemble), and they are built on skids that just sit on the ground and then are separately anchored down - that doesn't seem like best option to me.  When I helped Dad, we sunk 4x4 corner posts several feet down and then suspended the floor structure to those...  good enough or is there something better???  (no interest/funds to pour a slab)

Rookie stuff, I know -- but everyone starts somewhere, right?

Andy

It is easier but is very difficult to keep water from damaging the top of the roof unless you make flashing to cover it. The flashing looks out of place but it's necessary.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-14-2021, 05:28 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Shed I built a number of years ago. Concrete piers below frost line. 12/12 roof pitch: need roof jacks to shingle this. Gravel underneath has discouraged critters from calling it home.

I like your doors. Great idea.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-14-2021, 08:27 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I like your doors. Great idea.

Thank you sir! IIRC those doors were my first project using this new device: a table saw (Ryobi BT3000 or something like that). After that, I was hooked.