outside step railing???
Have a railing that has become loose and wobbles. Need to recement or fix this. What is the best way to approach this and what cement or epoxy to use to make this secure again. Will this be a permanent fix?? Thanks
John T.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

My brothers house so no photos. What it is is that the wrought iron railings on the outside steps has broken loose in the holes they drilled in the steps. Whatever cement they used to secure them has broken and loosened up and now they wobble. I assume I will have to drill the loose stuff out and fill again with something to secure.
John T.
As in metal flanges with screws into the cement or posts actually sunk a few inches in the cement?
Blackhat

(01-11-2021, 04:04 PM)blackhat Wrote: As in metal flanges with screws into the cement or posts actually sunk a few inches in the cement?

Holes drilled in stairs and filled with hydrolic cement or anchoring cement. But this cracked and now railing is loose. Do I clean out do the same thing or is there a better solution??
John T.
I would be looking at a non shrink grout and a bonding agent mixed with it. Working time is usually short so that could be a problem if you have to do more than a couple posts at a time.
Blackhat

(01-11-2021, 04:33 PM)blackhat Wrote: I would be looking at a non shrink grout and a bonding agent mixed with it. Working time is usually short so that could be a problem if you have to do more than a couple posts at a time.

Are you talking epoxy??
John T.
No, its a cement type product, normally sold as a powder.  We use it for filling voids under machinery and column bases and when reinforcing concrete walls with steel C channel.  You may find it at a Borg.  Check the instructions, some have a minimum thickness.
Blackhat

Here's the product I use. https://www.ctscement.com/product/cement-all  Available at home depot and other places. Add some water to a gallon size bucket, add a few cups of Cement All and mix with a paint mixer in your drill. For your application it should be pourable consistency, but it can be mixed thicker, like for grouting fieldstone walls. I usually keep some on hand so I don't know if it's available in smaller quantities. Ideally your pour should be a touch low and then a flexible sealant finished a touch high to seal around the steel and shed water away. This also helps to reduce rust stains on the concrete.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
That would be one brand of the product I was referring too.
Blackhat