Lee Valley miniatures
Will be users, for sure

[Image: i-RjNFqDN-M.jpg]

For perspective

[Image: i-5rpsxSD-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I understand they are fully functional, but honestly, I don't really grasp the concept here. Obviously selling . . . .
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-12-2021, 09:44 PM)Admiral Wrote: I understand they are fully functional, but honestly, I don't really grasp the concept here.  Obviously selling . . . .

Sure, I never paid them much attention. Until I wished I had the tiny shoulder plane to fit into a small space on my last project. That project is done, but I went for it on the guess that I'll find uses. Uses for the shoulder and router planes, anyway. Maybe I'll let someone's kid play with the tiny plow.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
For several years, they were stocking stuffers from my kids.  I have five, but use the shoulder plane, router and block plane the most.  The shoulder plane is really good and particularly useful.
I also have the shoulder plane. Bought it years ago on a whim when I was filling up the cart during a free shipping binge.

Turns out to be very useful working in tight spaces and for some smaller tenon cleanup tasks. It's kept sharp and ready to go right next to the medium size shoulder plane.
Somethings wrong with your large shoulder plane, doesn't match the others. Also, count me in as pleasantly surprised at how useful the mini shoulder plane and router plane have been.
I have all of them. I just think they are cool. Some attraction as having a scale model of a car or airplane or whatever. I have used the miniature chisels, shoulder plane, and router plane a few times. I think they are also a vehicle for Rob Lee to challenge his manufacturing team, similar to the April Fool's day prototype novelty tool.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I imagine that the size of the projects have a lot to do with the size of the tool. I have a friend who does nothing but toys and he can't understand why anyone would want a cabinet saw let alone a plane any bigger than a #3. I am with Admiral on this one, I would never consider buying one but if it is useful for you go for it.

Tom
I have a number of them and find them quite useful for model and scale dollhouse builds. They get into places that larger tools don’t fit. I could make larger tools work most of the time, but with these I don’t have to try.
(01-13-2021, 01:29 PM)AHill Wrote: I have all of them.  I just think they are cool.  Some attraction as having a scale model of a car or airplane or whatever.  I have used the miniature chisels, shoulder plane, and router plane a few times.  I think they are also a vehicle for Rob Lee to challenge his manufacturing team, similar to the April Fool's day prototype novelty tool.

Allan is correct - that's how they started out - as a manufacturing challenge. Producing things at 1/3 scale can be quite difficult - especially when trying to retain functionality, and as much detail as possible.

Miniatures are irresistible, if well made......

( All part of the master plan....
Wink ) 

Cheers - 

Rob