Repair loose saw handle
The holes on my back saw handle are worn. The nuts are as tight as I can get them, but the handle moves when sawing.
Are there any woodnetters who would be willing to fix the problem for me? Estimate of what it would cost?

This is an older saw, though not an heirloom. It performs well for me but just has a shaky handle. I would like to tune up an old friend if it's not too expensive.

Comment here, or send me a pm.

Thanks,
ajh (wood2woodknot)
Greater Cincinnati area

(01-14-2021, 12:12 AM)wood2woodknot Wrote: The holes on my back saw handle are worn. The nuts are as tight as I can get them, but the handle moves when sawing.
Are there any woodnetters who would be willing to fix the problem for me? Estimate of what it would cost?

This is an older saw, though not an heirloom. It performs well for me but just has a shaky handle. I would like to tune up an old friend if it's not too expensive.

Comment here, or send me a pm.

Thanks,
ajh (wood2woodknot)
Greater Cincinnati area

Unless the brass screws have slots worn in them, this should be an easy fix. I'd be happy to make some adjustments to firm up the grip and can touch up the teeth for you as well. I'm located in Northern Michigan, so the shipping cost should not be too bad. Please send some photos of the saw via PM so I can better see what you have. I can provide you with an email address if that would be easier.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Bob does great work!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
(01-14-2021, 08:40 AM)enjuneer Wrote: Unless the brass screws have slots worn in them, this should be an easy fix. I'd be happy to make some adjustments to firm up the grip and can touch up the teeth for you as well. I'm located in Northern Michigan, so the shipping cost should not be too bad. Please send some photos of the saw via PM so I can better see what you have. I can provide you with an email address if that would be easier.

Bob, sent pm.

(01-14-2021, 11:41 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Bob,  sent pm.

Bob,

Sent email with 4 photos and comments.

-Al

Keeping an eye on this thread. Hope we get some pics of the before and after results. Should be a very helpful thread.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(01-16-2021, 08:23 AM)museumguy Wrote: Keeping an eye on this thread. Hope we get some pics of the before and after results. Should be a very helpful thread.

RESOLUTION OF  THE FIX:

The bolts and nuts were aluminum and the threads crossed on two of the three bolts, causing problems in trying to tighten them fully. Instead of trying to clean the threads and fearing that aluminum might not be easy to maintain anyway, I started looking around for other options. I found that a 1/4-20 brad hole t-nut fit the holes perfectly. As well, the saw plate holes were 1/4". And steel would be better than aluminum any day.

My solution was to insert a t-nut (the brad hole ones have no tang) on each side and run a 1" slot head 1/4-20 bolt through. Bolts tightened down perfectly. After a couple test cuts, the saw handle is tight with no shifting or movement. All seems to be A-OK at this point.

Thanks for everyone's input, especially Enjuneer.

Photos attached of the fix.

(01-19-2021, 07:56 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: My solution was to insert a t-nut (the brad hole ones have no tang) on each side and run a 1" slot head 1/4-20 bolt through. Bolts tightened down perfectly. After a couple test cuts, the saw handle is tight with no shifting or movement. All seems to be A-OK at this point.

Al,

It is certainly an effective fix, if not particularly stylish in the traditional sense. If I had known that you were thinking of replacing the fasteners, I could have made a set for you in a style reminiscent of the originals.

Good work. Now you can get back to work!
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(01-20-2021, 08:08 AM)enjuneer Wrote: Al,

It is certainly an effective fix, if not particularly stylish in the traditional sense. If I had known that you were thinking of replacing the fasteners, I could have made a set for you in a style reminiscent of the originals.

Good work. Now you can get back to work!

Bob,
I wasn't really thinking of replacing the fasteners when I first posted a question for what to do. It only occurred to me after I was trying to clean up the saw and fasteners following your suggestions. I just happened to find one of the brad-hole t-nuts. Didn't even realize they made them without tangs. I realized it was almost identical to the nuts on the saw. A trip to the store to see if I could get several from the special parts drawers there (I never buy just the number I need - always buy extras for the next project). Would I also need washers or lock washers to hold tight? Bought them too. What about a nylon bearing to takeup space around the bolt shaft on the other side?

When I got back home the t-nut worked so well I decided I might as well replace all three of them. Then a second one on the other side worked as well if not better than some kind of sleeve. Why not use the extra t-nuts I bought?  Couldn't have been a better fit all around.

Just one of those chance experiences and a lucky find. Why did I ever have just one of that style t-nut and the perfect size, and why did I find it while looking for something else?

Never mind stylish. The saw is just a common, old saw that had seen better days - definitely not a shelf princess. Found it for a couple bucks at a garage sale. But it has a good, straight blade that sharpened up well and cuts true. Just a rescue mutt that brings your slippers and then lays by your feet waiting to be petted.

Thanks for your help. I learned a lot from your suggestions even though I ended up going in a different direction.

-Al