Black stripes on wood top
Hello,

I'm newbie to wood working, and I came across this vintage Lane table. 

I can't figure what cause the black stripes on the wood surface. 

I tried to sand the wood using everything up to 60 grip paper with both orbital and hand sanding, but the stripes are still there.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Not sure if this is a real question or not but in case you are honestly asking look up "tiger stripe" or "fiddle back" or "flame" wood figure. It is a highly desirable thing.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Yes it's a real question.. As I mentioned, I'm new to wood working, and never saw this pattern. I have 2 of this tables, and the other one has no stripes. There for I thought it's a problem in the wood.

Thank you for your answer.
Also, DON'T do any more sanding, especially with coarse paper. That looks like a veneer. It won't take much to sand through it and then it will be ruined and repair will be nearly impossible.
Oh, my! That is some sweet eye candy.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
thanks guys!

So the right thing to do will be to sand it 120-220-320 and then apply Danish Oil? something else?
You are incredibly lucky that you didn't sand through the veneer.  Be very careful and don't sand it any more than necessary to get it ready for a new finish.  Danish Oil is OK but not very protective.  If it's a table that will get hard use I would consider Waterlox or Arm-R-Seal.  

John
That’s really nice looking.
No offense but:
Stop! Don’t sand anymore. Period.
You might ruin it.

Find someone locally with a bit of experience to work with you on this. It’s too easy to destroy and rather difficult to repair.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
No offence taken!

I appreciate your advice, and will follow accordingly.

Thanks.
(01-14-2021, 02:24 PM)MsNomer Wrote: Oh, my!  That is some sweet eye candy.

I am not so sure about that.  Why would you put that sort of inlay in the middle of that beautiful ribboning?  It gives me a headache to look at.