Repairing Finger Joints (Record Shoulder Plane Box)
I just received a Record 72, with its original box.  The plane's in great shape, so really happy about that.  Just some cleanup and a new honing.

The box could use a bit of cleanup, too, but also is coming apart on one end.

I imagine it'd be best to pull the end off & clean out the old glue & dirt before trying to reglue & clamp it back into place, but I'm worried about breaking the fingers at the other end.  What's the safest way to separate these parts?  After, I've got TB II and TB III--would either of those be fine for the reglue?
(01-14-2021, 02:27 PM)grwold Wrote: I just received a Record 72, with its original box.  The plane's in great shape, so really happy about that.  Just some cleanup and a new honing.

The box could use a bit of cleanup, too, but also is coming apart on one end.

I imagine it'd be best to pull the end off & clean out the old glue & dirt before trying to reglue & clamp it back into place, but I'm worried about breaking the fingers at the other end.  What's the safest way to separate these parts?  After, I've got TB II and TB III--would either of those be fine for the reglue?

For such an old box, was hide glue used? Use a knife to remove the residue as much as you can in the fingers, then glue and clamp.

If you want it apart, use a heat gun (low setting) and heat for 2 mins to loosen the glue. Use a block and a mallet or a spreader clamp. If it doesn't give, another 2 mins of heat, and try again. 2 mins each time.

If hide glue, spray water into the joint/area and let it soak for 30 secs or so before heating.

Simon
Boy, I'd guess that corner took on some water at one time and it swelled up.

I had a water-damaged machinist chest once where for such a corner I drilled a small-diameter hole through the fingers and strengthened the repaired joint with a small brass rod.  Otherwise I thought it would pull itself apart again.

Have fun!   Nice plane....
Chris
Thanks, guys. I'll give the heat a try--and if that doesn't work, think about a thin wire down the middle.

The plane itself cleaned up nicely, with just some 0000 and a brass wire brush. Now I'll learn how to sharpen the blade.
Could you clamp it back in place, run a small backsaw through each joint, and glue in what the Brits call feathers - wood shavings the thickness of the saw kerf?  Then shave off what sticks out.