Air Compressor Exploded
This guy posted a video of the aftermath of his air compressor exploding.  It was a small air compressor - maybe 16 gallons - but the damage is incredible.

It's a good reminder of the importance of proper maintenance. 

Luckily he was standing in the driveway at the time and not inside the garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_FJ6Pat4I

Mike
First thing that came to my mind was rust, then a faulyt safety valve.

Looks like the tank was rusted out and finally let go. I wonder if the tank was slowly loosing air pressure and he just ignored it? My old compressor started to leak air and recycled on/off more than normal in use. After checking that the hose connections were tight and safety valve worked when I pulled the pin,  that little voice said that it was time to junk it.  Glad I took that advice
He has a follow up video and says he drained the tank regularly.  He also says the seam for the tank was at the bottom ,  and assumed that is where the failure started.  I am very surprised, in a bad way,  about the extent of the damage to the garage.  Glad no one was injured.
I wonder if the initial source of his issue related to internal rusting, plus maybe over pressuring the tank.  Pressure is not addressed here, but a way to reduce tank rust is.  I have 2 compressors and I pulled the drain valve out of both.  I put a 1/4" pipe elbow in then a length of pipe and finally a ball valve to allow draining.  I drain them on a regular basis, but any water in the tank runs down into that piece of pipe and settles there prior to draining.  If the pipe fails eventually, it's easily replaced.  My 2 cents, hope it's of use to someone.
Holy smokes! Wonder if the pressure switch failed and it over pressured the tank? The relief valve would have had to have stuck shut too. Two simultaneous failures?? Not likely but compressor tanks rarely explode.

Glad no one was injured.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
man, that's pretty terrifying.  
Crazy
(01-15-2021, 08:36 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Two simultaneous failures?? Not likely but compressor tanks rarely explode.

Yeah, they usually start leaking at the rust spots.  

A guy I worked with long ago was fixing a flat on his tube-type 19.5" truck tire on a split rim, and it came apart while he was inflating it.  Blew all the windows out of the small repair bay.  Would'a taken his head off if it wasn't in a cage.  

Stored energy is dangerous, especially if liberated all at once. 
Dead
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Notice the bottom tank air drain, someone has been welding on that tank. Wonder if any other "improvements" were done.......
When I was a teenager, a local was killed by his compressor in an explosion like this. From the damage in the video, you can see how that happens.
(01-15-2021, 09:39 AM)Z28Doug Wrote: Notice the bottom tank air drain, someone has been welding on that tank. Wonder if any other "improvements" were done.......

Yes. Saw that.

Looks like it started about where the wheel and axle brackets were attached. Maybe a rust out there....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020