Now for the rest of the story
(01-20-2021, 04:32 AM)Pedder Wrote: Ah, I see.

Sorry to say, but maybe, the best use is to burn them?

Cheers
Pedder
That isn't going to happen. That is almost insulting.

Tom
Tom,

I din't want to insult you. But I've "lost" my sawmaking partner to wood allergies. It came slow but steady. You allways will have to check if it is worth it.

That being said, why not sell them as they are? As I said before they are beautiful as they are!

Best regards
Pedder
Tom,
  Bummer -- very nice initial shaping.
So are these totes from that third batch of "rosewood" -- the "east indian rosewood" where you reacted only after the sanding, but not earlier?

Have you had issues with any other species?

Matt
(01-21-2021, 10:45 AM)mdhills Wrote: Tom,
  Bummer -- very nice initial shaping.
So are these totes from that third batch of "rosewood" -- the "east indian rosewood" where you reacted only after the sanding, but not earlier?

Have you had issues with any other species?

Matt
I bought the wood for totes several years ago. I bought 5 boards about 4 ft. long and made totes. I thought I was buying Bolivian rosewood but you never know from a private person. I needed wood for knobs and I bought some for sure Bolivian rosewood from Amazon Hardwoods out of Florida.  And bang I had a reactions. I knew I was allergic to Bolivian rose wood. I had also made a lot of totes and knobs out of Cherry and Walnut .

Well I am out of them and since I didn't have a problem originally, I thought that maybe the rosewood I was sold really wasn't Bolivian Rosewood. I wasn't really concerned because I latter found out that Bolivian Rosewood is not a member of the rosewood species, but a look alike. I tried a piece of east Indian rosewood and had no problems. So in my mind I am not allergic to the Rosewood species but a different species being a look a like and called Bolivian rosewood. These sat around for about 5 years and it is cold in Iowa and my shop is unheated. I had also ground ahead on plane so this January I decided to move some and needed totes to do so and now you know the hole story.

Tom
(01-21-2021, 07:37 AM)Pedder Wrote: Tom,

I din't want to insult you. But I've "lost" my sawmaking partner to wood allergies. It came slow but steady. You allways will have to check if it is worth it.

That being said, why not sell them as they are? As I said before they are beautiful as they are!

Best regards
Pedder

I am sorry if I over reacted. There was a lot of bulling and crap that went on on this forum a few years back.  I couldn't even say good morning and mean it without someone of that group would find fault. I stopped posting anything for a year or better and I still have hard feelings here with a few. Some post pictures of projects and I read beautiful job or great work and I post something and it gets burn it for firewood.

I an sorry, But with everything that went on I am a little defensive and thin skinned. I do except your apology, please except mine

Tom
(01-21-2021, 08:26 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: I do except your apology, please except mine

Tom

Tom,

no need to apologize! You never said something wrong!

Cheers
Pedder
My cabinetmaker brother used to call those generically “jungle woods”. He had many stories of guys in shops becoming sensitized to them. One guy, he said, was too much of a chicken to dig out a jungle wood splinter. A week later, “it went toxic”, and he had become allergic or...and couldn’t walk into the shop without a reaction.

If I’m not mistaken, wood dust allergies almost killed Norm. And I don’t think it’s just jungle wood. I’m mildly allergic to pine. I think black walnut can get you.

But I feel some of this can be avoided by reducing sanding of wood. Here on the hand tools forum, we should be able to help. For example, when I made saws, I did not sand their handles. The flat parts were planed, and the rounded parts were rasped, filed and lightly scraped. Maybe your plane totes could be offered this way. I don’t think the smooth handles are a necessity from a usability standpoint. And one can do pretty good with a rounded file.

Tom, I’d almost suggest charging more for the hand scraped handles.
(01-20-2021, 05:24 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: That isn't going to happen. That is almost insulting.

Tom

Laugh
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.