Make a spoon in twenty minutes
I can't understand a word he says but I don't have to...he's good !!!!
Winkgrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__bmvTIgu5I
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Make a couple hundred of them and you get a lot faster.

My first one took several hours. I've gotten better, but not a lot faster.

Green wood is a joy to work. I found a small bradford pear branch the other day. Carved my first from fresh wood. That went quicker and easier.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
(01-17-2021, 01:41 AM)clovishound Wrote: Make a couple hundred of them and you get a lot faster.

My first one took several hours. I've gotten better, but not a lot faster.

Green wood is a joy to work. I found a small bradford pear branch the other day. Carved my first from fresh wood. That went quicker and easier.

Green wood is much easier for sure..and you can soak dry wood in water for a couple hours and it cuts easier also..but your tools will rust if you don't oil them.....

Two things that interested me in that video was the jig he used to "trap" the wood to his bench, eliminating the need for a vise, and I liked the sharply angled knife he used like a chisel for much of the work..I think I am going to copy his design and make one for myself...I have some O1 tool steel that would work fine.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-17-2021, 08:33 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: Two things that interested me in that video was the jig he used to "trap" the wood to his bench, eliminating the need for a vise, and I liked the sharply angled knife he used like a chisel for much of the work..I think I am going to copy his design and make one for myself...I have some O1 tool steel that would work fine.

That carving tool does look a lot easier on someone's joints than a knife.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(01-17-2021, 10:30 AM)hbmcc Wrote: That carving tool does look a lot easier on someone's joints than a knife.

Yep...it does to me as well....short handle, skewed blade makes for a "slicing" cut that you can "put your shoulder" into....I looked for one on Ebay and couldn't find one that was like it for sale...Some were pretty close but not as wide as I would like. They were from Ukraine and the postage was too high to suit me also..

Another thing I liked about the guy was...he didn't make his tools to be "pretty"...he made them to be "functional", which IMO should be the "primary" goal of all toolmakers...Like we used to say about cars..."Chrome looks pretty, but it dont turn the wheels".... Now if you can achieve BOTH { Like Ron Brese }...you made something really "special"....
Winkgrin
Yes

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Wow, that guy is really good.  Wonder what kind of wood that is.  It cuts so much cleaner than anything I have ever carved.  Or maybe his chisels are just that sharp.
(01-17-2021, 10:54 AM)stav Wrote: Wow, that guy is really good.  Wonder what kind of wood that is.  It cuts so much cleaner than anything I have ever carved.  Or maybe his chisels are just that sharp.

As he said, it's cedar, and also to select your wood clear and straight.

Well, slide to the side when pushing, he says, is how you get a slick bowl interior.

It's Russian, not Ukrainian accent, nor alphabet.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I agree that the workholding and tools were very interesting -- as was the skill. The triangular bladed knife/chisel looks very useful.

I wonder how much of this is Russian tradition, and how much is idiosyncratic.
I was also intrigued by the stubby chisel-bladed knife he used...that looks like something worth trying.

He had a few tools with a wrapping in place of a ferrule...any ideas as to the materials/technique used for that?

“Timberwolf” Wrote:I liked the sharply angled knife he used like a chisel for much of the work..I think I am going to copy his design and make one for myself...I have some O1 tool steel that would work fine.

I’d be happy to set up a build-along thread for you.
Big Grin
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(01-17-2021, 08:13 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: I was also intrigued by the stubby chisel-bladed knife he used...that looks like something worth trying.

He had a few tools with a wrapping in place of a ferrule...any ideas as to the materials/technique used for that?

I’d be happy to set up a build-along thread for you.
Big Grin

Thank you for the offer but I have found a knife in my stash that can be modified quickly to a very similar shape..The blade in this one is a high speed steel parting blade from amazon..I may give it a go this week..If so, I will post a photo of it. This blade can be shaped differently on the other end and that feature comes in handy for folks who carve while camping or on vacation and are traveling light. I believe this handle is made by A.P Hyde company..

[Image: fullsizeoutput-f88.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset