Refinish Hitchcock dining table
We have a Hitchcock dining table and the top is showing signs of wear.  There are areas that are dull, and a few water rings.  Since the top has stencils, I really don't want to strip it down to bare wood.  I am wondering how to proceed.  Can I rough up the surface a bit and re-spray?  With what?  I am not sure what the original finish is.
Sort of like this one:

[Image: il_1140xN.2708203851_lc8g.jpg]

If so, stripping would be a bad idea for sure unless you want to get rid of the stencils.  But maybe you won't have to refinish it all.  White rings can sometimes be removed by a product like this one.  There are others, too.  If the dull areas are from something that has just changed the sheen but not worn through the finish then you can bring the sheen back up by polishing it with automotive polishing compounds.  However, if the dull spots are down to bare wood then you have no choice but finish those areas, if not the entire top.  I'd bet the finish was lacquer, and you can find out by swabbing it with lacquer thinner on a Q-tip on the bottom side.  If the finish comes off it's lacquer or shellac but no furniture maker would use shellac on a table.   Assuming it's lacquer you are in luck, because lacquer is relatively easy to repair if you have a spray gun.  Clean the table top really, really well with mineral spirits to remove any and all wax.  If the color in the dull areas matches the rest of the top then spray light coats just on those areas first until you get it built up level with or a little higher the rest of the top.  Then carefully sand the new section to feather it in with the old.  Then spray a coat or two on the entire top.  If the color of the wood in the dull areas does not match the rest of the top then you will have to add some dye to the lacquer you use to build up those areas, then switch to clear for the coats over the entire top. 

Good luck.

John
(01-18-2021, 01:00 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Sort of like this one:

[Image: il_1140xN.2708203851_lc8g.jpg]

If so, stripping would be a bad idea for sure unless you want to get rid of the stencils.  But maybe you won't have to refinish it all.  White rings can sometimes be removed by a product like this one.  There are others, too.  If the dull areas are from something that has just changed the sheen but not worn through the finish then you can bring the sheen back up by polishing it with automotive polishing compounds.  However, if the dull spots are down to bare wood then you have no choice but finish those areas, if not the entire top.  I'd bet the finish was lacquer, and you can find out by swabbing it with lacquer thinner on a Q-tip on the bottom side.  If the finish comes off it's lacquer or shellac but no furniture maker would use shellac on a table.   Assuming it's lacquer you are in luck, because lacquer is relatively easy to repair if you have a spray gun.  Clean the table top really, really well with mineral spirits to remove any and all wax.  If the color in the dull areas matches the rest of the top then spray light coats just on those areas first until you get it built up level with or a little higher the rest of the top.  Then carefully sand the new section to feather it in with the old.  Then spray a coat or two on the entire top.  If the color of the wood in the dull areas does not match the rest of the top then you will have to add some dye to the lacquer you use to build up those areas, then switch to clear for the coats over the entire top. 

Good luck.

John

Thanks very much.  I'll give it a try.