Ash or Elm?
So here is a burl I harvested a few years ago from a tree that was getting ready to be logged.  Finished just over 13" in diameter

Turned it a few weeks ago.  

Wish I had a better picture of the tree, but here is all I got.  Can you tell if this is ash or elm?  It was located in south central Indiana.

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Beautiful piece,but no idea on the type of wood
Yep, beautiful bowl.  Don't recognize the bark.  Bowl is darker than what I would expect for ash; but I have no experience with ash burl or elm burl.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(01-18-2021, 12:31 PM)KLaz Wrote: So here is a burl I harvested a few years ago from a tree that was getting ready to be logged.  Finished just over 13" in diameter

Turned it a few weeks ago.  

Wish I had a better picture of the tree, but here is all I got.  Can you tell if this is ash or elm?  It was located in south central Indiana.
Don't see many elms with so little dark heartwood.  
White ash.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Bowl looks too dark to be ash, tree looks too light to be elm
VH07V  
I only applied a sanding sealer and then buffed with wax so didn't really change the color any with finishing.  It was pretty brown when I was turning it.  Very hard and dense wood.

Whatever it is, I'm pretty happy with it.  The story of getting it out of the woods makes it all worthwhile....

I was riding my mountain bike on this property during the summer (that's the trail to the left of the tree) and saw the burl and to my surprise that tree was marked to be logged later that year.  I asked the property owner if I could take the burl.  Tree was coming down so he was more than accommodating.

So come winter that year I packed up my chain saw and my two wheeled dolly to haul this thing out of the woods.  I had to hike up and down a couple steep hills to get back to this tree.  Didn't think to bring any extra gas with me as I thought for sure one full tank should do it.  Cutting the burl off was tougher than I thought.  Man it was hard.  I sawed and sawed on this thing finally starting to get it loose and there goes the saw....out of gas.  Crap!  So close.  Burl was still hanging on by a thread and no way to get my fingers in the saw kerf to get a good hold on it.  That's where my two wheeled dolly shined!  Grabbed the dolly, stuck the bottom plate into the saw kerf and boom, I had a 5' long lever!  Worked on it for few minutes and finally it snapped off!  It was a lot of work for this one piece.

So I get it strapped to my dolly, load the saw up and start my hike back to the truck.....then the snow starts.  As you see in the picture there is no snow.  By the time I get back to the truck, everything was covered in snow.  Those hills were brutal to climb back up with the snow giving me no foot traction whatsoever and pulling the dolly with the saw and burl was tough!  Thought I was going I was never going to get back to the truck that evening!  

This is one I'm going to hang on to and will always remember that day in the woods!
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(01-21-2021, 10:14 AM)KLaz Wrote: I was riding my mountain bike on this property during the summer (that's the trail to the left of the tree) and saw the burl and to my surprise that tree was marked to be logged later that year.  

Yep, emerald ash borer....
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.