Malware on Woodsmith TV?
A first post from me, a hobbyist woodworker in Wales, UK.

I've been looking at taking out a Woodsmith online subscription and otherwise using the Woodsmith website.  Although most facilities seem fine, attempting to access the TV (presumably video) tab I get a serious warning from Malware-bytes that it contains bad stuff.  Is this so or is Malware-bytes over-reacting to some advertising blurb or similar?  Any advice will be gratefully received.

Capel Sion
Welcome to WN, Capel; it's a great place to hang out and learn.

Sorry, but I'm no help on the malware.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(01-18-2021, 01:46 PM)Capel Sion Wrote: A first post from me, a hobbyist woodworker in Wales, UK.

I've been looking at taking out a Woodsmith online subscription and otherwise using the Woodsmith website.  Although most facilities seem fine, attempting to access the TV (presumably video) tab I get a serious warning from Malware-bytes that it contains bad stuff.  Is this so or is Malware-bytes over-reacting to some advertising blurb or similar?  Any advice will be gratefully received.

Capel Sion

I'm in the U.S. and when I click on the TV SHOW tab, everything is fine.  I get no warning from my Mac computer nor from my iPad tablet.  

Inside the TV SHOW tab you'll have the option of purchasing individual episodes of the TV show for $2.99 each or full seasons of the show at a discount.  Also, the VIDEO EXTRAS are located there.  These are short videos and are free.

Mike
(01-19-2021, 06:59 AM)Ohio Mike Wrote: I'm in the U.S. and when I click on the TV SHOW tab, everything is fine.  I get no warning from my Mac computer nor from my iPad tablet.  

Inside the TV SHOW tab you'll have the option of purchasing individual episodes of the TV show for $2.99 each or full seasons of the show at a discount.  Also, the VIDEO EXTRAS are located there.  These are short videos and are free.

Mike

Well .... it's tempting to have a look but Malwarebytes is very insistent that there are Bad Things there.  In truth I prefer the written word + pics as explanation anyway, so I've subscribed to the magazine (electronic) and the back issues.

It's somewhat different in content from Fine Woodworking magazine, with a lot more on tool making and jigs.  Mind, some of those jigs are mad! There's a Great Big One for holding a router horizontally to make a slot with a straight bit. A lot of material and time to make the jig, compared to making the slot with a router used freehand with two fences mounted.

On the other hand, I've already made a couple of the more ordinary tools illustrated in the magazine, including a panel gauge with all sorts of markers mounted on it.

I look forward to yattering here too.  Incidentally, can one post pics?  I'll try one.

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to Woodnet.

Sorry, but I am no help with the Malwarebytes complaint.

The picture worked. That is an interesting looking tool.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
[attachment=32475 Wrote:iclark pid='7944718' dateline='1611114216']Welcome to Woodnet.

Sorry, but I am no help with the Malwarebytes complaint.

The picture worked. That is an interesting looking tool.

The Woodsmith version was just the T-track having a simple fence and some notched tabs sliding in the T-track. A pencil was put into the notch then the gauge slid along an edge to mark a line in-board and parallel to that edge.  A small adaptor turned it into a trammel for marking circles.

I'd been looking at the Veritas panel gauge, based on an old Stanley but with the usual Veritas improvements.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/too...em=15N0601

Mine is an amalgam of the two, with two different fences and various additions for marking with a sharp wheel, a pencil, a scribing point or ink pens (black; and white for dark wood). It can mark double lines to define dadoes as well as single lines. I've yet to make the circle-cutting addition.

Here's another couple of pics of the slicing gauge configuration and it's knife wheel. It's in it's unfinished state here, awaiting a tidy and some wax.

Capel

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice jig.

WRT Malwarebytes:
Maybe your URL is different than the US.
Can you include a link?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(01-20-2021, 07:37 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Nice jig.

WRT Malwarebytes:
Maybe your URL is different than the US.
Can you include a link?

Hello Gary,

The url for the TV show, navigating from the Woodsmith Library webpage, is:

https://www.woodsmithshop.com/

Malwarebytes gives me the warning that the website is blocked "because of reputation" which generally means it may contain PUPs but also malware of the more pernicious kind.  Malwarebytes gives me the option to go there if I want to ignore the warning but advises heavily against it.

Regards,
Capel
ssltrust.com reported no malware. However, it warns against the site’s SSL/TLS protocols.
Thus, according to them, it’s safe to view but not to purchase through or provide any PII or authentication info.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.