oven wall cabinet design
I'm needing to design/build a face frame wall oven cabinet for pacement in an island. The oven is GE JTS5000SNSS, with the installation instructions below.
They call for a cutout (diagram 2B) of 28 5/8 x 27 5/16 x 23 1/2 (w x h x d). However they also spec a "clearance from cutout" of 1" top, 1 1/4" bottom and 11/16" each side. I'm confused as to what this means.  
I assume it means the face frame inside dimensions are the cutout and the cabinet box inside dimensions are the cutout plus the additional clearances. If so, the oven must rest on some "legs" to bring up the bottom to the cutout.
Please help me sort this out.  

https://products.geappliances.com/Market...-11161.PDF
I read it the way you interpreted it.
Same here, I think you got it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-19-2021, 11:43 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Same here, I think you got it.

Same here, too, and that's exactly how I had to build the cabinet for my oven.  I put a couple of runners in the bottom of the cabinet to shim it up to the level of the faceframe, then just slid it in.  

John
(01-19-2021, 12:51 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Same here, too, and that's exactly how I had to build the cabinet for my oven.  I put a couple of runners in the bottom of the cabinet to shim it up to the level of the faceframe, then just slid it in.  

John

Thanks Joe, Fred, and John.  So after talking to a cabinet installer friend, his input is the inside of the cabinet can be the cut out dimensions (all thorough usually larger) and shim the bottom as John did.  Secondly the "clearances" are in reference to the outside of the face frame/cabinet.  Meaning there can be nothing else in those areas (drawers, etc..) Reason is the oven face overlays the face frame in top, bottom, and sides.

Make sense??
(01-19-2021, 02:33 PM)Demps Wrote: Thanks Joe, Fred, and John.  So after talking to a cabinet installer friend, his input is the inside of the cabinet can be the cut out dimensions (all thorough usually larger) and shim the bottom as John did.  Secondly the "clearances" are in reference to the outside of the face frame/cabinet.  Meaning there can be nothing else in those areas (drawers, etc..) Reason is the oven face overlays the face frame in top, bottom, and sides.

Make sense??

Yes, that makes sense.  That would accommodate the oven flange. If you already have the oven, just measure to verify.  The zero clearance for the inside of the cabinet sounds scary but I'm sure the manufacturers have confirmed it works.  Not good PR to burn down people's houses.  

John
Here's how I did our GE double wall oven when I installed it 2 1/2 years ago.  We replaced a single wall oven with a double unit.  We had to remove a drawer that was under the old single unit and an open cubby that was above it to obtain the necessary vertical clearance.  

I made sure the cutout matched the dimensions to the inside of the face frame.  I had to add support structure under the oven cavity to support the new unit.  This was previously open to accommodate the former drawer space.  I added side cleats and a base of 3/4" ply as shown in this pic:

The instructions you linked say that wood "shims" (2x4s) can be used to support the oven unit within the cavity, presumably to bring the surface that the oven will rest on up the the level of the bottom inside edge of the face frame.  I presume the rest of the clearances are to allow for air circulation around the oven unit to prevent an overheat situation.

Our finished double wall oven (apologies for the poor pic):

(01-19-2021, 03:36 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Yes, that makes sense.  That would accommodate the oven flange. If you already have the oven, just measure to verify.  The zero clearance for the inside of the cabinet sounds scary but I'm sure the manufacturers have confirmed it works.  Not good PR to burn down people's houses.  

John

Just to clarify, he was not suggesting zero clearance, just hammering a point to me that the clearance question I posed, was in reference to the outside of the face frame.  I will actually have good inside clearance on top and both sides.
Thanks again.
You are correct. The dimensions you state for for the face frame clearance, and then there is space inside the cabinet for air circulation, hence the C, D, E dimensions noted.