Fein Dust extractor question
Hello,

I'm going to pull the trigger on a new shop vac.  I've been wanting one for nearly a decade but other shop goodies always get my limited budget.

My question is mainly between the Fein Turbo I or Turbo II.  They seem to be identical except for size.

For dust extraction duties when attached to a ROS either size is fine but what do you recommend for just cleaning up the shop?  I'm thinking of sucking up the smaller debris that a quick sweep and dust pan won't get.

Should I just spent the extra amount and get the Turbo II or is the Turbo I plenty big enough for normal shop cleanup?

Thanks
Peter

My "day job"
(01-19-2021, 03:41 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello,

I'm going to pull the trigger on a new shop vac.  I've been wanting one for nearly a decade but other shop goodies always get my limited budget.

My question is mainly between the Fein Turbo I or Turbo II.  They seem to be identical except for size.

For dust extraction duties when attached to a ROS either size is fine but what do you recommend for just cleaning up the shop?  I'm thinking of sucking up the smaller debris that a quick sweep and dust pan won't get.

Should I just spent the extra amount and get the Turbo II or is the Turbo I plenty big enough for normal shop cleanup?

Thanks

Peter:

I have had the Fein Turbo I for several years hooked up to a Dust Deputy. It has seen use for general shop cleanup in addition to being used with my tablesaw over blade dust collection, routers (both table mounted and stand alone), sanders, Kreg Jig and probably others I can't remember. It has served me well and I would highly recommend it.

Bill
They are identical except for capacity.   That added volume adds $100 to the TurboI price. 

Bags are slightly cheaper per liter of capacity for the II, but not enough to sway the decision by itself.   A few places bundle the cleaning tool set with the vac at a discount, usually $30-40 which is a good value.   Lots of places show out of stock, so you might call and verify availability before ordering. 

I’d just get the II unless you need the shorter unit to fit under a bench or another tool.
I have the older version of the Turbo II ( round top no storage). Great suction for a shop vac. I thought about buying another but from what I have heard/ read that the hose is stiff plastic and not as good as the original vac hose.I do not use the bags but a cloth "bucket" surrounding the pleated motor filter. To clean the vac just remove the motor housing, 2 latches. Pull out the cloth bucket and dump out the canister. Brush off the cloth bucket and re-assemble. The motor pleated filter has not gotten dirty in 8 yeas of use.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I have an older Fein Turbo II. There's a little secret re the hose. The hose that comes with the vac is nice, about 15 feet long or so and pretty flexible It's only about 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" diameter. It works very well for it's intended purposes, attaching to hand held power tools. I don't find it good for general cleanup it's too small. The hole where the hose locks into the vac body will also accommodate "regular" 2 1/2" shop vac hose. The hose doesn't lock into place like the Fein hose but stays in place as well as a 'regular' shop vac. That works better for cleanup duties and other jobs where a larger hose is appropriate.
(01-19-2021, 09:07 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: They are identical except for capacity.   That added volume adds $100 to the TurboI price. 

Bags are slightly cheaper per liter of capacity for the II, but not enough to sway the decision by itself.   A few places bundle the cleaning tool set with the vac at a discount, usually $30-40 which is a good value.   Lots of places show out of stock, so you might call and verify availability before ordering. 

I’d just get the II unless you need the shorter unit to fit under a bench or another tool.

I'll take the other side of the coin.  I'd go with the TurboI and spend the other 100 on a dust deputy setup with 5 gallon buckets for the waste...

And I say that as an owner of an older II that I added a dust deputy to.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
I have the older 9-11-55 (Turbo I) and it has been wonderful. I bought it in a package deal including a Milwaukee router set on swap and sell many years ago. This website has the bags for 3 bucks each.
EZ Vac

*Bought it in 2007, never replaced anything but the bags.
That's a really good price on those bags....I'll have to bookmark that site.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-23-2021, 03:01 PM)FireWood Wrote: I'll take the other side of the coin.  I'd go with the TurboI and spend the other 100 on a dust deputy setup with 5 gallon buckets for the waste...

And I say that as an owner of an older II that I added a dust deputy to.

Except, now you've lost a ton of functionality because it's no longer easily portable.

The larger unit affords you increased capacity should you ever need or want it and should increase re-sale value too.   

The second you start buying German tools, you need to give up the notion of saving a buck.  It's like golf - you'll always be buying new balls.
I'd make sure you always keep a bag in it and using the Dust Deputy before can't hurt.

Had the smaller round top one till the motor went since the air passes through the motor and kills the bearings and couldn't get a new motor for it. That's what kept me from buying another.

Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson