Swan Chisel: How Old?
I was showing off a newly re-handled Swan firmer chisel to a fellow woodworker and he asked how old the chisel was: good question. I've found a couple of references on the web but nothing that would conclusively allow dating it. A 1911 catalog shows mostly socket chisels, so I am guessing its a later product. Any insight into its age would be welcome.

So I guess all the old chisel aficionados must be busy watching the inauguration ?
Smile
(01-20-2021, 02:41 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: So I guess all the old chisel aficionados must be busy watching the inauguration ?  
Smile

Hard to date from the mark, but my gut tells me it is more likely towards the end of production; other than that, i got nuthin'
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-20-2021, 02:41 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: So I guess all the old chisel aficionados must be busy watching the inauguration ?  
Smile

I read a while back that the words stamped in tools.. "cast steel" was replaced with no mention of the steel OR the words "tool steel" shortly before the year 1900...and that was about the time when country of origin was mandated on things.In the beginning, applied decals were sufficient but later a more permanent stamping was required..I could be totally off on the date but I would say the tool in question was made after 1900..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I was able to find a couple of Swan catalogs online. 1904 catalog had almost no tanged chisels. The 1911 catalog seemed to have a few more tanged chisels, but not this firmer style. There is a 1920 catalog out there, but I could not find a (free) pdf of it. My guess is that as time went on, they went more toward tanged chisels, due to the cost advantage. Since they went out of business in 1951, that puts it somewhere after 1911 and before 1951. In the right hands, I am sure this will be a good user for at least another 100 year or so. I will do my best to see to it that it is treated well while I am its custodian.