Bowl jig
Photo 
I made a jig so I can cut my blanks round on my bandsaw before I put them on the lathe.

Attached Files Image(s)

Slick, I like it.
Bruce.
I stopped making them round like that about ten years ago. I just nip the corners to make a rough octagon shape.
VH07V  
(01-24-2021, 09:49 PM)EightFingers Wrote: I stopped making them round like that about ten years ago. I just nip the corners to make a rough octagon shape.

I start my pieces over the bed between centers, so making round keeps me from having to trim projections which would stop the lathe on max sizes.  Also, since I do barkside with a big Forstner parallel to heartside, I can roughly undercut by tilting the table, which helps balance on heavy wet stock.  

I could also start max pieces by undercutting roughly with the chainsaw, which allows me to work pieces deeper than the unmodified 14" Delta can cut in one spin.

I admit to being both lazy and cowardly, so I'd rather let the machine work and me think.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(01-24-2021, 09:49 PM)EightFingers Wrote: I stopped making them round like that about ten years ago. I just nip the corners to make a rough octagon shape.

My problem is I can only turn a 12” bowl on my lathe. If I only nip the corners then I end up with a bowl smaller than I want.
How do you mount that jig? I made something similar but ran into a problem where if I want to end up with a 12" blank, I start with a 13" piece. However, it is then too wide to sit on the pin - it hits the blade - unless I started the cut before that.

(01-27-2021, 04:56 PM)crokett™ Wrote: How do you mount that jig?  I made something similar but ran into a problem where if I want to end up with a 12" blank, I start with a 13" piece.  However,  it is then too wide to sit on the pin - it hits the blade -  unless I started the cut before that.

It's a standard woodworking jig.  Use something like the search criteria in my URL and you'll find all the ideas you need.  Fancy here Build a Bandsaw Circle Cutting Jig : 10 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables where you slide in straight and swing round.  Mine's a piece of 1/4 ply base with the miter gauge strip and stop screwed on.

If you're just using it for the lathe, don't need to adjust the blade to pivot distance, just use your max radius to establish the pin.
(01-27-2021, 04:56 PM)crokett™ Wrote: How do you mount that jig?  I made something similar but ran into a problem where if I want to end up with a 12" blank, I start with a 13" piece.  However,  it is then too wide to sit on the pin - it hits the blade -  unless I started the cut before that.

I use a couple of bar clamps to clamp it to the table. I had to make a change because of one clamp being in the way. Now I clamp it between the blade and fence.

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-27-2021, 07:04 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: It's a standard woodworking jig.  Use something like the search criteria in my URL and you'll find all the ideas you need.  Fancy here Build a Bandsaw Circle Cutting Jig : 10 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables where you slide in straight and swing round.  Mine's a piece of 1/4 ply base with the miter gauge strip and stop screwed on.

If you're just using it for the lathe, don't need to adjust the blade to pivot distance, just use your max radius to establish the pin.

I guess that works if you only want to make one size bowl.
(01-28-2021, 12:18 PM)RustyN Wrote: I guess that works if you only want to make one size bowl.

Or can't swing one bigger than it rounds out over the bed.