Cleaning solution for restoring Old machines
I use a good bit of Fast Orange and a scrub brush, works well. Lacquer thinner if I don't care about damaging the paint. But just like solvent, you still have to clean it with clean water to remove the residue if you plan to repaint it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Pure Simple Green cut 1/3 with ammonia.....don't use it in a confined space.

Ed
Greased Lightning degreaser, found at Home Depot. Buy a spray bottle. Works well, and cheap.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Greased-Ligh.../300812691
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-21-2021, 09:37 PM)Juss1 Wrote: Just curious what cleaning solutions you guys use to clean the gunk of old machines.  I'm looking for opinions to use on the hardware part which have the grime, oil, grease, sawdust, etc and also on the painted parts to clean up but not take the paint off.  Right now I'm using simple green which works ok but was wondering if you guys have better alternatives.  I've seen alot of people also use tsp.

There is a you tube guy named scout crafter he uses a 50/50 acetone and transmission fluid. He also uses a 50/50 of grease and oil for gear lubrication
he also uses the heavy duty degrease by Zep the purple stuff
the citrus degreaser is less potent
for rusty parts saw a test of evaporrust he heated it it works faster also used a ultrasound cleaner of evaporust to speed up 
you can google the you tube test very good video