species that looks like hickory?
Which species of wood most closely matches that of heartwood hickory?

Besides heartwood hickory itself, of course
thanks
Ray
there is quite a few species of hickory shag bark, pecan ,pig nut , bitter hickory just to name a few
they all have some what different heart wood all seem to share very similar sap wood
around here "southern Michigan" i do not believe i have ever seen a wood that looks even close to hickory
Pecan is in the same family but may be hard to find. Black Ash would probably be a close substitute.

If you are trying to match calico hickory then I am at a loss.
At the military base hobby shop where I got started in woodworking, they had a hardwood stock bin that was labeled "hickory/pecan."  The woodshop manager told me that his hardwood supplier made no distinction between hickory and pecan.  Seems I've read somewhere that that they are very similar and can be hard to distinguish from each other.
Thanks for the suggestions!
I’ll look into the pecan.
It doesn’t have to exactly match just look good together as it will be adjacent to the hickory.
White oak seems to look ok adjacent to heart wood hickory too but looking for more options.
Ray
Here's 1/2 of a bi fold doors I made. The rails/stiles are solid hickory, and the plywood panels (believe or not) are maple. I had to make this for our kitchen pantry when my wife chose hickory cabinets for here kitchen remodel. Sorry for the poor pic quality, but to me the 2 woods look identical.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
That’s a nice looking light brown maple.
What kind of maple is that?
Ray
No idea, this was 15 (or more) years ago and that plywood was some I had on hand when i was trying to solve the same problem you have. The coloring in it makes me think it might be a soft maple with some ambrosia effect.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Hickory and Pecan may be in the same family, but the hickory I have in the rack is much lighter than any pecan I have used.  Hope you are able to find what you need.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(01-21-2021, 09:40 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: Which species of wood most closely matches that of heartwood hickory?

Besides heartwood hickory itself, of course
thanks

If your are looking for other species because of cost pecan will be in the same price range so why not get hickory ?   Roly