species that looks like hickory?
good question - it's not about cost
I'm looking for some ps veneer that will go on the side of a few cabinets with hickory face frames and oak veneered cabinet boxes.
The issue is that I used heartwood hickory for the face frames and ps veneer hickory will have a mix of heart wood and sap wood, a look that we (read swmbo) do not want.
But I figure that something that is close to matching the heartwood hickory that I have might be a nice and complimentary look.
Oddly enough the oak veneered panels look ok adjacent to the hickory, but I'd rather have heartwood hickory or something closer in appearance than the oak panels - which I think is white oak.
I could stain something to a better match, but I'm color blind so I can't do that without a lot of testing and outside input.
Also two of the panels are right over the sink on opposite sides of a window that gets a lot of sunlight, so I'm concerned that a stain will fade in a short time.
Ray
How about using some thin resawn hickory? There must be someone that can resaw what you need.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(01-23-2021, 01:27 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: How about using some thin resawn hickory? There must be someone that can resaw what you need.

Actually I could do that myself and ... maybe ... might end up doing that, but for now I'm looking for an easier solution ?
Ray
I love working with pecan, the state tree of Texas.  Similar to hickory, but has better character and more interesting grain.  Strange but when milling pecan is smells like cow manure to me.  Here's my pecan desk.

Attached Files Image(s)

If it were me I would stop at the cabinet shop here in town and have them order a sheet of Hickory plywood. I would tell them to wait until they put in an order . That way I don't have a delivery charge. If you have a cabinet shop near by stop in and ask.

My work bench top is made out of hickory. I bought a pile of it at a auction and didn't have any thing to make so I used it. I needed one piece and was going to have then order a piece to save a 1/2 hour drive to a saw mill that had some. They had some but it was what they call rustic hickory which has a lot of brown strikes and some knots and then one sad how about plywood and they had a piece left over from a job that was almost the prefect size. 

Anyway the bottom of my tool tray is hickory plywood.

Anyway an Idea that may save you a lot of work.

Tom