advice on horribly deteriorated auto paint/clearcoat
I wish I knew you were going to do this yourself. I would have recommended a clear coat that would cure in about a half an hour in those conditions.

Speedokote Fast Clear... for next time
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(03-23-2021, 06:18 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I wish I knew you were going to do this yourself. I would have recommended a clear coat that would cure in about a half an hour in those conditions.

Speedokote Fast Clear... for next time

Thanks for the suggestion.  Good to know about that.  

As it turned out, I think the halogen light and the hair dryer actually caused the paint and clear coat to set up well within the ½ hour or so we kept the heat on it.  Was tack free within 15-20  minutes actually as I recall.  I was worried about how quickly it was setting up.  I realize now it may have had to do with the heat which I guess means it was a good thing.  When I have done this in my garage in summer, it might be 75 in tha garage.  I bet the heat we applied that frigid winter day had the surface well above 75 while we applied it.  Either way, the finish is still on the car and everyone is happy.  Can't get much better than that for <$200.  BTW the car was their late grandfather's so sentimental value as well comes into play here.  He was meticulous about maintaining the car, but the finish must have been defective (though well past any warranty or claim of defect).
sleepy hollow

Once the clear coat is gone, its a matter of time and the paint will literally wear off. You've got to get it repainted (one way or the other). Is there a vocational school nearby?

You see this all the time on roofs where the wiper fluid sprays over.

40 odd years ago, I had my '72 Pinto painted at Earl Schieb. 75 bucks. Lime green (ahead of my time LOL) but when I sold it 3 years later not a peel of paint anywhere.
Leave the windows down and Earl will do the interior for free.
A dull tool is a sign of a dull mind.