Fuzz on Basement Wall
The limestone foundation is solid, 120 years old. The basement is always dry. The house is new to us, so have no past experience, but did not seem fuzzy when we bought it two years ago. Perhaps former owner swept it off. The fuzz is powdery, not gritty. No odor.. I am not a chemist or biologist, so wonder what it might be. Thanks for the replies.

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-22-2021, 03:14 PM)petertay15 Wrote: The limestone foundation is solid, 120 years old. The basement is always dry.  The house is new to us, so have no past experience, but did not seem fuzzy when we bought it two years ago. Perhaps former owner swept it off.  The fuzz is powdery, not gritty.  No odor..  I am not a chemist or biologist, so wonder what it might be. Thanks for the replies.

it is efflorescence which forms on masonry surfaces.    Look up the word as it is a chemical reaction with air moisture and masonry.   I am not up on chemistry to be able to explain it.   Roly

In chemistry, efflorescence is the migration of a salt to the surface of a porous material, where it forms a coating. The essential process involves the dissolving of an internally held salt in water, or occasionally in another solvent. Wikipedia
My guess is Roly is right i have seen it a lot here in Wisconsin. As far as I know it is harmless
Yes, that is efflorescence, and it's caused by water which means you've got water on the outside of the foundation.  That's never a good thing.  Check your downspouts and drainage to see if water is coming against the foundation where it's happening and correct as necessary.  

John
They are probably correct. It's probably crystallized salts from the evaporating ground water on the inside of the wall.

You could get a cheap moisture meter from home depot and it will give you a good idea of the moisture content in the wall. It really shouldn't be above about 18% MC. Mold will grow over 18% but efflorescence will form with less moisture. I'd get a good look outside the wall and make sure rain water isn't collecting against the foundation and the grade is sloped down hill away from the foundation. This is the #1 cause of basement moisture. High ground water will do it too but it would probably be in other areas of your basement too.

On a side note... "fluffy white stuff" can also be Penicillium mold. Home Depot has a Pro Lab mold test kit. You just lightly touch it to the sticky side of the slid and mail it to the lab. Don't press too hard, you don't want to get the dirt off the wall, just the stuff you want tested. If it's mold, wash it off the wall with soap and water and stop the moisture. Mold only needs water and food to grow. The dust on the wall is plenty of food. But this will tell you for sure what exactly it is. It's one or the other.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay