Removing water from basement floor
Once had a couple of inches of water in my small basement. Didn't have a pump, but had a 16 gallon shop vac.
Set vacume on top of wash sink. Drilled a 2 1/2" hole in side by the bottom. Made a flap of cardboard wtith duct tape covering it. Covered the hole with it, hinged at the top with tape. When vac turned on, it would suck flap closed. When full, you could hear the noise change. Turn vac off, and flap would open and drain.
I plugged into light that was controlled by upstairs switch. Wife and I took terns turning on and off.
Would work good to empty a hot tub fast also.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(01-24-2021, 11:25 AM)Pirate Wrote: Once had a couple of inches of water in my small basement. Didn't  have a pump, but had a 16 gallon shop vac.
Set vacume on top of wash sink. Drilled a 2 1/2" hole in side by the bottom. Made a flap of cardboard wtith duct tape covering it. Covered the hole with it, hinged at the top with tape. When vac turned on, it would suck flap closed. When full, you could hear the noise change. Turn vac off, and flap would open and drain.
I plugged into light that was controlled by upstairs switch. Wife and I took terns turning on and off.
Would work good to empty a hot tub fast also.

My Nebraska house has a place for a sump pump (hole), but no evidence of one ever being there.  Previous owner says the basement was dry, and that's what I see also... but curious as to why they would have poured the floor to accommodate one and not plumbed it in, just in case.
(01-24-2021, 12:10 PM)KC Wrote: My Nebraska house has a place for a sump pump (hole), but no evidence of one ever being there.  Previous owner says the basement was dry, and that's what I see also... but curious as to why they would have poured the floor to accommodate one and not plumbed it in, just in case.

Might have been roughin code but not final plumbing inspection requirement.
(01-24-2021, 12:59 PM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: Might have been roughin code but not final plumbing inspection requirement.

That makes sense.  Very old (over 100) house.  I expect the concrete floor was 'added' at some point. The hole is directly beneath the main stack and outgoing sewer line.