Dust collection on the BS?
So now that I have a competent DC running I tested it on my BS by tying the DustRight connector to the face of my mid-90's Delta machine. I first pulled off the terribly useless 2" hose connection.

Wow what a difference! Cutting about 15' linear feet of 1" thick pine left ZERO dust in the base. Yes, there was a bit on the table, but no clouds of it being thrown about.

Now I need to come up with a quick connect method, maybe magnets epoxied to the saw and a bracket of wood made? Any ideas?

The way it's attached now has the 4" wide opening on the hose about 2" from the blade with a LOT of air moving past it.

Before and after images attached.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Hmmmmm - drive belt could use a little tensioning.  
Big Grin

I have a ‘temporary’ box with 4” hose to it under the table of my 1940’s 12” Craftsman, and another to the lower wheel enclosure via the opening in the bottom of the wheel cover and frame (a unique feature of the 103.0103 BS).  It works quite well, though some dust follows the blade around and rains down from the upper wheel.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Yeah, I keep meaning to "get around" to tightening it, but you know how it goes.

I'm trying to mimic what Cosman does in this video, but with my DC instead of a shop vac: https://youtu.be/Ut_tqnqrRww

I haven't looked at the inside of the frame yet, but I'm contemplating drilling through the two flat surfaces I'm pointing out in the attached pic to hard mount a flange that my hose can attach to.

Also on the docket: fabbing a dust collecting shroud around my '55-ish Craftsman belt sander and buying a hose attachment for my drill press table.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Oh, and on tensioning that drive belt: The saw originally came with a 3/4hp motor. Last summer I replaced it with a 1.5hp 220v motor. Part of the reason for the loose belt was because I was a bit worried the motor might have been too much for it. With many hundreds of feet of sawing and lots of resawing I think it's safe to tighten the belt.

I'm surprised that you saw it. I would never have figured that out from a picture.
Semper fi,
Brad

(01-24-2021, 10:35 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Oh, and on tensioning that drive belt:  The saw originally came with a 3/4hp motor.  Last summer I replaced it with a 1.5hp 220v motor.  Part of the reason for the loose belt was because I was a bit worried the motor might have been too much for it.  With many hundreds of feet of sawing and lots of resawing I think it's safe to tighten the belt.

I'm surprised that you saw it.  I would never have figured that out from a picture.

You know how it is... some folks keep their eyes open for erroneous grammar, others check to make sure hair doesn't go below the collar, and then there are the belt police...

I'd recommend trying cosman's method with a shop vac and see how it compares.  I think the DC will keep the cabinet clean, but I think a lot of dust gets out around the lower guides.  The shop vac should do a better job for pulling air in the tight space.

Matt
Delta made a connector for those bandsaws that from what i read did a fairly good job. Here's a pic. You can't buy them anymore but it might give you some ideas. The pic doesn't show it installed, but it bolted (screwed) somehow into the area you pic'd, and the hose port pointed to the back of the machine. That would be a little handier I would think. If you made a setup like that, it might be easier to make the port a QD type.

Edit: I did find a pic of it installed.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-25-2021, 12:31 AM)mdhills Wrote: You know how it is... some folks keep their eyes open for erroneous grammar, others check to make sure hair doesn't go below the collar, and then there are the belt police...

Raised
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I'll be honest, that belt police thing made me laugh.
Semper fi,
Brad

My MM has the port there below the table where you are thinking of mounting yours. That's the best place. YMMV
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Yeah, I have a port there that I removed; it's terrible. I am going to mount the 4" hose where I have it now. I think I've come up with how I'll mount it and will update when it's done.
Semper fi,
Brad