Onefinity CNC
(01-27-2021, 07:08 AM)gad5264 Wrote: Brent,

I currently have a GarageworX 18"x24" and was quickly growing out of it and wanting/needing something bigger (at least that is what I told SWMBO). The GW has ball screws and I was wanting to stick with that type of machine. I love the sealed bearings on the 1F also. Lots of research and the Onefinity reviews from their forum and FB group sold me on the purchase. I also liked the video that Ben Myers did on his beta test unit. The only drawback for me was the 7" touch screen and I knew my old eyes and sausage fingers would not like that. I found a 30" monitor that I will be swapping out and using a mouse and keyboard for machine operation. The overhang on one side will have a small drawer section built in for bits and other necessities.

The 1F has a 65MM router mount so you are limited to the selection on routers. Makita is the popular choice but I opted for a 65MM air-cooled spindle and VFD that I got bought from AliExpress. I am in Ohio and didn't want to mess with anti-freeze and the cold winters with a water cooled spindle. Their are some 1F users that are currently beta testing an 80MM spindle mount that 1F is trying to offer as an option. The current Z mount is incorporated into the machine and does not allow for modifying from what I've read. 

When I started looking at table designs, I wanted to incorporate the Kreg mobile base so that is what I will be using for it. The base will be 44"x44". I found a local source for 1" thick MDF in 49"x97" sizes and had two pieces cut down to 49"x65" which will be sandwiched together for the top. I will be using a t-track clamping system with 1" strips of the drop MDF as center pieces between the tracks.

Also, their customer service from what I have seen is 2nd to none and others just rave about the companies response times to questions.

You might want to check out their Forum for a lot of information. 

https://forum.onefinitycnc.com/

Care to share your experience with the onefinity?  Is it relatively maintenance free or does it take a lot of constant adjusting?  How do you find the Makita router?  Lacking in power?
(08-10-2021, 08:39 PM)Juss1 Wrote: Care to share your experience with the onefinity?  Is it relatively maintenance free or does it take a lot of constant adjusting?  How do you find the Makita router?  Lacking in power?
Speaking as a 1F owner since Feb of this year: my machine hasn’t needed anything other than tightening one dust fitting that came loose.
Hobby use only tho.

Power-wise. I think it depends on your expectations. If your were into production cutting of parts you’d want something more powerful. 1F has an 80mm mount available now so you could go with a 2.2kW spindle if you want.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Just ordered a Onefinity Journeyman today and was hoping for some feedback.   

How important is an enclosure for dust and sound?  I'll be using my 1hp Grizzly dust collector and a Makita router.  The CNC will be in the part of the basement where the washer and dryer are located directly below my living room and I would like to avoid making the Misses unhappy.  

Regarding bits; does this seem like a good starter set?  I think I'd add a spoilboard surfacing bit as well.

For software I'm familiar with Fusion 360 from using it with my 3D printer.  Any downside to continue to use that; or are vCarve or CarveCo Maker worth switching to?

I ordered the CNC, dust collection attachment and touchprobe.  Looks like I'll have 3-4 months before delivery to slowly get the rest of what I need so the overall cost isn't as painful.  It also gives me time to make room for it and build a stand.
I have had my Onefinity for close to a year now.  It sees occasional use.  I am not in the shop everyday.  Usually just weekends and not all of my time is spent on the cnc.  I say all that just to let you know I am not a "power user".  I intended to build an enclosure but have not done it yet.  I am actually starting to second guess that decision.  I am finding that access all the way around the machine is very handy for getting all the various hold downs in place.  I have t-tracks running front to back and there are times I want to put a bolt in from the back side and I think an enclosure would complicate that.  I have not given up fully on the idea of an enclosure but am not in any rush to get it done.  The machine and a router are no more noisy than everything else you do in your shop.

I am using a shop vac with a dust deputy rather than a dust collector.  You might find that running the dust collector for this is overkill and you may have some jobs that run for quite a while.  You may not want to pay for the electricity to run the 1HP motor that whole time.

The suckit dust boot does a very good job of collecting the dust so if you do build an enclosure I would do it for sound much more than for dust containment.

That set of bits and the waste board surfacer looks like a very good start.  I have not needed anything that I didn't see in that picture.  I primarily use the 1/8", 1/4" and the 60degree v-bit.  I have not done a lot of 2.5d carving that would use those ball tip bits, but what is there should cover all your starting projects.  For starters you might consider a couple cheaper 1/8 bits until you get the hang of it.  I have run one into a screw I was using to hold down the work material and the bit didn't survive.

I bought vcarve pro based on advice from a friend.  I have no experience with Fusion360 so cannot comment on which is better.
Appreciate the info Brent.  I won't be using it daily either; maybe when I retire in a few years.
Mine is ordered. Lots of time to set up shop. I thought I had a big shop, but trying to figure out where to drop the this beast is driving me nuts. Looks like the down draft table is coming down. Went with the Carveco Plus software to get the full cutting area usage. They have some good info on line.
After 9 weeks and 1 day, but who's counting?, my 1F Journeyman shipped today.  Your wait should be similar as they seem to be catching up.  

I have no plans to put a dust/sound enclosure over it.  I want access and, as said, it will be no more noisy than all the other machines I run in my basement shop.  No DC for me, either.  I'm going to try a Dust Deputy with a shop vac.  If/when I upgrade to a spindle, then I'll reevaluate using a DC.  

If you already know how to use Fusion 360 I think you should stick with it.  Plenty of people use it with their 1F.  I went with VCarve Pro and feed it drawings from SketchUp.  

John