Furnace Question
For the area he is a fairly big builder. About 50 homes a year. i know some places some builders do that in a month. or even a week. Not here.. Builds mostly mid range homes. 1800 square feet or so. $350,000 -$400.000 I know in some areas of the country that won't even buy a single stall garage. Checked on 1/2" osb this morning . $27 + a sheet. Home prices are going to double if that keeps up.
i can kind of see wanting to keep old appliances if they in general are working and have a simple problem.  My neighbor dropped a chunk of change on a kitchen update including a nice fridge.  After 3 years or so the ice maker died.  My sister and her husband have had bad luck with fridges and had to replace or fix a couple.  I see so many complaints here and elsewhere about many of the new appliances.  With some of them it seems like many parts are expensive to fix.

The fridge I have just keeps running, same for my stove, although I did have to put in a new ignitor for the oven, stove is from 96.  The furnace I bought for my shop according to the serial number was from 88.  I bought it used about and had it installed about 9 or 10 years ago.  It just runs.  I'm starting to have two problems now and I'll probably replace it in the spring.  But still for a furnace that I paid $200 dollars for it has lasted close to the warranty of the new one I had put into my house, I'm happy.  The AC for my house that I replaced was 30+ years old. Don't get me wrong I love my new furnace and AC, I'm just don't think they will see 30 years.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy