Furnace Question
My guy told me repair any part that goes bad but replace if it's the heat exchanger.  He also said in all his years he only came across 2 bad heat exchangers 

New appliances, furnaces etc are not as reliable as some older models IMHO. It's your call.
Had to replace mine about a year ago. 12 years old but parts no longer available. Replaced a 85% eficient with a96%. $2400 30 miles north of Green Bay That price sounds high, but I have no idea where you are located.
“JosephP” Wrote:I think it comes down to how that math works out and how often you want to be without heat. I'd say you gotta be thinking replacement with a unit that old...but does that happen now or later. For me, once I've decided it is time to replace, I am done repairing. But periodic repairs doesn't automatically mean replacement. $400 in repairs every year, and you still have a 10 year payoff for the new furnace. Maybe that buys time to save the money to pay cash for the replacement and/or shop around...
This is probably the most relevant IMO...we went through this a couple of years ago, and decided we wanted a little more money in the bank before we replaced it.

We also had a gas inser in the fireplace that would heat most of the house, and in fact was what we used primarily in the daytime to keep the “daytime part” warm.

It might also make a difference if you’re north of Green Bay like @Turner52.
Wink
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(01-25-2021, 08:33 PM)JosephP Wrote: I think it comes down to how that math works out and how often you want to be without heat.  I'd say you gotta be thinking replacement with a unit that old...but does that happen now or later.  For me, once I've decided it is time to replace, I am done repairing.  But periodic repairs doesn't automatically mean replacement.  $400 in repairs every year, and you still have a 10 year payoff for the new furnace.  Maybe that buys time to save the money to pay cash for the replacement and/or shop around...

What make you think that a new furnace won't break down.  My daughters furnace quit working just 13 months after it was installed.  Lucky I had a used part that I could replace it with as she just had my grandson a month before and the repair guy had to order parts that took almost 2 months to get.  This was in Jan in northern Ohio
(01-28-2021, 11:45 AM)Turner52 Wrote: Had to replace mine about a year ago. 12 years old but parts no longer available. Replaced a 85% eficient with a96%. $2400  30 miles north of Green Bay That price sounds high, but I have no idea where you are located.

I'm a little farther north of Green Bay, near Marinette.  Not knowing what is a good price, I talked to a few other HVAC places in the area.  They are all right around the same price range.
(01-28-2021, 01:21 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: This is probably the most relevant IMO...we went through this a couple of years ago, and decided we wanted a little more money in the bank before we replaced it.

We also had a gas inser in the fireplace that would heat most of the house, and in fact was what we used primarily in the daytime to keep the “daytime part” warm.

It might also make a difference if you’re north of Green Bay like @Turner52.
Wink

We have decided to replace it.  We like to be warm, and a working furnace is instrumental in making that happen (especially because we're farther north of Green Bay than @Turner52).  We also have the money in the bank to do it.  If we didn't have the money, we would probably have decided to fix it this time and save to be ready for the next time.
(01-28-2021, 10:07 PM)page2171 Wrote: We have decided to replace it.  We like to be warm, and a working furnace is instrumental in making that happen (especially because we're farther north of Green Bay than @Turner52).  We also have the money in the bank to do it.  If we didn't have the money, we would probably have decided to fix it this time and save to be ready for the next time.

I have a 2 stage furnace because it was a close out Trane model and a good deal. I have it locked in 1st stage only at 34k btus and it heats the house very well and more slowly and quietly even down to 16*. 

A good thing to look at now is attic insulation and any windows that need sealing and ducts that also may need sealing. 

Depending on how old your house is, you can save a lot of money insulating then possibly reduced the furnace size and load as well as the ac load.
(01-28-2021, 01:36 PM)fixtureman Wrote: What make you think that a new furnace won't break down.  ...

Very true (which pushes the payout on replace vs. repair out even further).  But the probability of a 30 year old furnace is higher than a new furnace needing repaired.

I look at it the same way with a 2001 truck I still drive.  Sure, it is gonna spend some time in the shop and eat a couple grand per year in repairs, but not so much that I'm ready to pay for a new one.  One factor in that decision will be if this truck leaves me stranded too many times and spends too much time in the shop.  The assumption is that a new truck spends less time in the shop - but that may prove wrong.

or a roof
or kitchen appliances
or machinery
etc....

(PS:  NE / N-central or NW?  Just curious...I'm in NW Ohio).
Page2171. I am in Oconto Falls so not very far from you. My brother is still a GC and usually the new houses he sells include all appliances. He is in Sheboygan. Business is booming. He just opened another subdivision. If you sign with him now you will have a closing date 14-16 months from now. That busy. On numerous ocasions lately he has had to install any old used appliance he can get his hands on. Big backlog due to the virus. New owners have to wait untill he can actually get what was ordered. Prices have also gone up due to the shortage. Supply and demand working. Don't know who is putting the extra cash in their pocket but sombody is. Just like magically gasoline prices rise just before a holiday.. EVERY time. What a coincidence.
(01-29-2021, 02:39 PM)Turner52 Wrote: On numerous ocasions lately he has had to install any old used appliance he can get his hands on. Big backlog due to the virus. New owners have to wait untill he can  actually get what was ordered. Prices have also gone up due to the shortage. Supply and demand working. Don't know who is putting the extra cash in their pocket but sombody is. Just like magically gasoline prices rise just before a holiday.. EVERY time. What a coincidence.

I'm seeing the same things inspecting new homes. The bigger builders seem to be getting their appliances, they get 1st priority from the warehouses and mfgs. The small builders are having a tougher time. There is a new cottage industry where appliance repair guys are renting used appliances (not hvac) to builders until the new stuff arrives.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay