Sargent 409
First off. I am not a fan of Sargent planes. I was at an auction last fall and there was this rusty Sargent plane that I was not even going to bid on. The plane looked to be really in bad shape because I got it for $2.

I got to thinking about Paul Sellers. He used a #4 for a scrub plane, so I took it apart, cleaned the years of grime and rust off with a wire wheel on my bench grinder and then I milled the mouth opening bigger. I am not sure 
how big the opening should be. If I got it to big I am out $2.

I reground the top and bottom of the plane iron and then I ground about a 4 inch radius on the blade. There is about 3/32 arc on the blade Again I don't have a clue id it is big enough or if the radius needs to be smaller. 

I need to go over to my shop and take it for a spin. Our winter storm warning just ended at noon today and since my shop is unheated it will have to wait for a better day, but I am looking forward to using it.

just a couple more pictures,

This is not restoring this is repurposing.

I hope this gives you something to think about.

Tom
I have a #4 set up with a radius a little shallower than yours. I set the frog back some, and left the mouth untouched.

It's not a scrub plane, but it does remove stock very quickly and easily.

Yours looks like a good example of repurposing, and should work well as a scrub.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
Both Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen put a 3" radius on their scrub plane blades. The LV and LN blades are bedded at 45 deg and use bevel down blades The LV blade is 1-1/2" wide. The LN blade (modeled after the Stanley No. 40-1/2) is just a hair under 1-1/2" wide. A wider blade - like the 2" blade in a No. 4, will require a larger radius to achieve the same thickness of shaving. I'd say around 5-6" is appropriate for a 2" wide blade where you want to remove 3/32" max per pass. That's fairly aggressive. Opinions vary a lot on what camber is appropriate. Your personal preference on how aggressive you want the plane to be, how hard is the wood, etc. all factor into the "right" answer. A 4" radius on a 2" wide blade is on the aggressive side.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-27-2021, 03:08 PM)AHill Wrote: Both Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen put a 3" radius on their scrub plane blades.  The LV and LN blades are bedded at 45 deg and use bevel down blades  The LV blade is 1-1/2" wide.  The LN blade (modeled after the Stanley No. 40-1/2) is just a hair under 1-1/2" wide.  A wider blade - like the 2" blade in a No. 4, will require a larger radius to achieve the same thickness of shaving.  I'd say around 5-6" is appropriate for a 2" wide blade where you want to remove 3/32" max per pass.  That's fairly aggressive. Opinions vary a lot on what camber is appropriate.  Your personal preference on how aggressive you want the plane to be, how hard is the wood, etc. all factor into the "right" answer.  A 4" radius on a 2" wide blade is on the aggressive side.
When I wrote that the 3/32 I was referring to the cord of the circle exposed from  the cutting edge to the chip breaker. I think asking for a 3/32 depth of cut is asking an awful lot from my arms at my age. Depth of cut is adjustable.

IF LN and Lee Valley put a 3 " radius on that would equal I inch of radius per 1/2 inch of width  so 4' radius on a 2 inch wide blade  is still 1 inch of radius per I/2 inch of width. The 4 inch radius was a place to start. When it comes to depth of cut, it is like having a car that will do !20 miles an hour. Just because it is possible to 120MPH doesn't make it a safe operating speed and amount of traffic also play into the equation.

The radius is easy to change.
Put some radius on that baby. Mine takes the wood off,,,,easily. The more radius, the easier.

This is a 1-3/4 blade in a 5-1/4 plane.

I should resharpen it a bit. I have the radius wore almost flat in the middle.
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020