slow kitchen drain
Looking for a product to clear up a slow kitchen drain that has disposal installed.   Many products like Draino have poor reviews and not for use with the disposal.  Have tried the run of the mill house products like baking soda, vinegar, and others, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bill B
I always try scalding hot water first. Turn up the water heater, boil a big pot of water, pour boiling water followed by hot tap water. let it run for a while. This will soften up grease build-up; you let it run for a while to make sure it gets out of the small pipes before it solidifies again.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Slow kitchen drains, especially with a disposal are usually caused by fat in the pipes. Don't put fat/oil in the drain. Soap and hot water will break down fat but sometimes it just pushes the fat further down the line where it cools again and plugs it up somewhere else where it can be harder to access. Hot water can melt it but soap actually breaks down the fat. Melting it just moves it to a cooler location. This can be a looooong process, if it works. I've never found chemicals very effective.

Not sure if you have access to a clean-out in the pipe. Maybe in the cabinet or the floor below? Snaking it at the clean-out is the easiest and fastest. If you don't have a clean-out, you'll have to open the pipe. If you're lucky, the clog is in the P-Trap under the sink. Take it apart and take a look. You can always rent a snake that attaches to a drill... these things are great and make fast work of it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-27-2021, 06:55 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Slow kitchen drains, especially with a disposal are usually caused by fat in the pipes. Don't put fat/oil in the drain. Soap and hot water will break down fat but sometimes it just pushes the fat further down the line where it cools again and plugs it up somewhere else where it can be harder to access. Hot water can melt it but soap actually breaks down the fat. Melting it just moves it to a cooler location. This can be a looooong process, if it works. I've never found chemicals very effective.

Not sure if you have access to a clean-out in the pipe. Maybe in the cabinet or the floor below? Snaking it at the clean-out is the easiest and fastest. If you don't have a clean-out, you'll have to open the pipe. If you're lucky, the clog is in the P-Trap under the sink. Take it apart and take a look. You can always rent a snake that attaches to a drill... these things are great and make fast work of it.

OK, thanks for the info Mr. Sniipe Hunter,  I will look at the "trap" for starters.  I have tried boiling water and dawn to no avail.  
Regards,
Bill B
I heard 50/50 Vinegar and Baking Soda followed by boiling water helps.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(01-27-2021, 06:08 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: I heard 50/50 Vinegar and Baking Soda followed by boiling water helps.
That didn't work for my daughter she tried everything and the sink would drain a little better but not like it should.  I replaced the counter top and when I disconnected the sink there was a fudge spoon and knife in the trap.  I asked her about it and she said she thought that she threw them out when they went missing.
(01-26-2021, 05:49 PM)Bill Bob Wrote: Looking for a product to clear up a slow kitchen drain that has disposal installed.   Many products like Draino have poor reviews and not for use with the disposal.  Have tried the run of the mill house products like baking soda, vinegar, and others, any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bill B

Honestly, just replace the drain pipe to the trap, and the trap, then snake the main drain pipe beyond the trap.  Cheap and will solve your issue.  Just did that in my kitchen sink after 20 years of use, flows like a river now.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Trap is the first thing to check.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

When mine gets slow I put about a cup of cascade powdered dishwasher soap in it and run the hot water for about 15 minutes. Seems to do the job.
Could there possibly be an issue with the disposal and how it drains?  Also, we always scrap lean into a trash container before placing it in the dishwasher.  Have been very diligent with what goes in the sink.