Lumber Rack
I'm going to be building a lumber rack like the one in the attached picture.  My question is, what are the thoughts on using 1/2" OSB for the triangularish brace piece instead of 3/4" plywood?  I have a bunch of offcut OSB that I can make my braces out of if popular opinion is that it would hold up to the weight of storing hardwood boards.  Thanks in advance for any opinions in the overall strength of OSB for use in this application.

Attached Files Image(s)

~ Chris
(01-27-2021, 02:44 PM)cwarner Wrote: I'm going to be building a lumber rack like the one in the attached picture.  My question is, what are the thoughts on using 1/2" OSB for the triangularish brace piece instead of 3/4" plywood?  I have a bunch of offcut OSB that I can make my braces out of if popular opinion is that it would hold up to the weight of storing hardwood boards.  Thanks in advance for any opinions in the overall strength of OSB for use in this application.

it would work fine.  It would be even stronger if you fill in the open bottom between the sides with a third piece.  Use glue.. Strong stress-skin construction.
WoodNET... the new safespace
OSB will work fine in that application.
Should be fine. I would glue-an-screw
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

16” o.c. is way overkill in that pic.
It should work OK as you suggest. You might also consider something like this. It is 1 1/2" rigid electrical conduit press fit into 2x3s that are lag screwed into wall studs. They don't have the wedges that get in the way so you can stack your lumber all the way up to the bottom of the next pipe. This picture shows 2 levels at 12" vertical spacing. They have held cherry and walnut lumber for about 10 years without failure or sag.

Thanks all. Ill glue and screw.  My studs are 24" OC so thats my plan.  I like the conduit idea but I can build the other 100% out of offcuts already in hand so this project will have no additional cost
~ Chris
I like the rigid conduit design best, it looks better, and also allows for more space for wood storage.

I'm setting up a new shop and have been pondering wood storage designs today.
(01-30-2021, 09:31 AM)Danny in Houston Wrote: I like the rigid conduit design best, it looks better, and also allows for more space for wood storage.

I'm setting up a new shop and have been pondering wood storage designs today.

I don't want to hi-jack cwarner's thread. So, in case someone else is interested, I'm going to post a new one to explain some details of my lumber rack design.