OSB vs plywood shelving
(02-04-2021, 03:54 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: These are not going to be fancy enough to paint. I think my options are actually limited. It doesn't look like they carry 3/4" OSB at the store near me. I will probably just spend the extra money on plywood.

3/4 OSB is underlayment can be hard to find, it's sort of a dinosaur deminsion . What you'll probably find is 23/32nds, not 3/4. It's 1/32" thinner than 3/4"

Consider AdvanTech 23/32 -OSB. AdvanTech is extremely durable, doesn't flex/sag nearly as much as traditional OSB or plywood, isn't affected by humidity and can tolerate getting wet. It also has a fairly smooth surface which is waxed so it won't hold paint but it doesn't collect and hold dust like OSB. Unfortunately, like all building materials, it's almost doubled in price this last year and out of stock right now at Lowes, that's where I usually get it. HD carries it too but appears to also be out of stock locally... Maybe it can be found at a building material supplier. . AdvanTech is much denser than traditional OSB and has a hard polymer filler so no air voids like traditional OSB.

I use it to build shower bases and shed floors because it's much more stable than plywood or traditional OSB , has much less flex, won't absorb water and you can park riding mowers on it. It has about as much flex as 3/4 oak plank. I don't even try to nail through it, even with a pneumatic nailer. Pre drill and screw.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I just checked on the Sagulator, and I am getting identical results for 3/4" fir plywood and 3/4" OSB.  That surprised me.  I thought that the plywood would perform better.  Interesting.

https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.