scrub planes
Another way:  Spent the $15 at Harbor Freight...Windsor Pattern No. 33 plane.    Grind a 3" radius camber on it very thick iron...there is no chipbreaker.  You now hold a #3 sized, very hungry Scrub Plane.
Cool   You'll get better use out of it, that way, than trying to make a smoother out of it...
No

IF you are concerned about  entering H-F ( lest we see you..) put a bag over your head...don't forget the eye-holes.....LOL
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-13-2021, 12:06 PM)bandit571 Wrote: IF you are concerned about  entering H-F ( lest we see you..) put a bag over your head...don't forget the eye-holes.....LOL
Winkgrin

And don't use a plastic bag.  A paper bag can't get trapped against your mouth, causing you to asphyxiate.
I am surprised to see this one come back to life.
I had a vintage Stanley scrub plane once and sold it as I prefer a #5 with a cambered blade. Does not take long at all to set one up, so I don't understand the concern there.  

Recently used it to flatten two walnut slabs that I used for a pair of end table.   Followed up with a #7 and another #5 set up for smoothing. I do have a couple of #4 but normally grab the #5 instead.

(08-13-2021, 11:32 AM)Dave S® Wrote:  I saw that in the thread and was looking around at the Stanley 78's.    This is all going to be experimental for some textures, and also for working on warped boards.   

Sellers' blog post can be read here: https://paulsellers.com/2018/05/the-stan...lane-what/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-14-2021, 07:51 PM)Admiral Wrote: Sellers' blog post can be read here: https://paulsellers.com/2018/05/the-stan...lane-what/

Perfect!   Thank you for the link to his blogs.

If I follow my thought process through on a final texturing for some pieces, I could have an 1 1/2" traditional scrub plane -- 40 1/2 or the 78, and I could also convert like a #4 blade to had a concave blade for some wider scrub cuts......both depending on how deep the blade is set.
Dave

In use, at the moment..
Cool

Working my way back towards the camera..

Going at a diagonal to the grain...shavings the thickness of an Old Groat ( English coin)
Needs a decent camber..

I think 8" radius will about do the trick...the Jack plane?

Was made by Great Neck Tool Co., and was their Corsair brand, model C 5

Made in USA..

YMMV..
Uhoh
What do you mean, a 8 inch radius. Didn't you get the memo, LN has a 1 1/2 inch blade and it has a 3 inch radius. Therefore all  scrub plane blades must have a 3 inch radius on them  I put a 4 inch radius on a 2 inch blade and you can't believe all the negativity I got because I went against the established rules. If you don't follow established protocol you are going to hear about it. 

Tom
Then they can just argue it out with Herr Schwarz..... As that is what he uses....
Winkgrin
(08-23-2021, 07:08 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: What do you mean, a 8 inch radius. Didn't you get the memo, LN has a 1 1/2 inch blade and it has a 3 inch radius. Therefore all  scrub plane blades must have a 3 inch radius on them  I put a 4 inch radius on a 2 inch blade and you can't believe all the negativity I got because I went against the established rules. If you don't follow established protocol you are going to hear about it. 

Tom

Geez Louise, I freehand the radius on my pseudo scrub, have no idea what the radius is and it seems to cut anyway.  Besides, my plane can’t read.