scrub planes
(08-24-2021, 12:24 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: Geez Louise, I freehand the radius on my pseudo scrub, have no idea what the radius is and it seems to cut anyway.  Besides, my plane can’t read.

I suspect you have missed the sarcasm in Tom's message.
(08-24-2021, 01:52 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: I suspect you have missed the sarcasm in Tom's message.

And in mine…
Big Grin
I picked up a woody last Friday and I finally took the time today to try out my 3 scrub planes.

The first picture is of the old oak piece I used for the demo. It was ruff cut and gray when I started.

The second and 4 pictures are of the Sargent plane that I purchased for 2 dollars at an auction and I opened the mouth and put a larger radius on the blade that everyone said was wrong and that it needed to be aa 3 inch radius To tell you the truth I don't remember what radius it is.

The third picture is of the wood scrub made in Germany. I started to clean up the wood. At least half of it was black as the horn. 

The next is a picture of a metal scrub I purchased a couple of months ago.

The next two are of the blades. The really bad looking one is from the wooden scrub. It will see my lapping plate (see sharpening 45 cutters)

Then all three if my scrubs. 

And the bottom of all three planes.

And the last two are just of the shavings and planes in general.

What I found out is on the wooden one, the throat clogged up after a couple of strokes. The throat closes up the farther up the chips go. I took a rasp to the opening and it helped. I think the  blade being flattened and sharpened will do wonders for it. I like the nostalgia of using the plane but it is going to take some tuning.

The metal scrub I had the same problems with the throat clogging up. The guy I bought it from said he had made the blade and he didn't remember what steel he used. I know him and I also know the is a retired tool and diemaker. Knowing him and where he worked I would guess 01 but I don't think he hardened it, it shows no sign of it. I think it could have been a little sharper.

And lastly I took the #4 for a spin and I did everything I thought it should. I also liked the larger radius, it cut out big chunks but didn't leave that much work for other planes to follow up with. I also like haviing the ability to adjust the blade back and forth much less fiddling around. Although the other two weren't bad.

All in all it left me agreeing with Bandit 571  in that I think a #5 might not be to bad a size of have as a scrub also. I thought I might have opened the mouth to much but now I don't think one can open it to much. I have another junk #5 so I think I will make me a 5 and maybe a #6. I know Chris Schwarz uses a $6 transitional as a scrub plane.

I found that I liked a shallower cut with a larger radius. On the oak I was, using the plane liked cutting at 45 degrees much better than cross grain and grain direction didn't come into play as much as it does when planning an edge or smoothing.

About 4 years ago I built a Michelson style bench for my Grandson's Christmas present. The scrub would have been just the ticket for rough  flattening the 2 x 12 construction lumber I used for the top.

Anyway now you know what I found to be true for myself. What you like or dislike is up to you. But just because LN has aa 3 inch radius on theirs doesn't mean we have to stick our heads in the sand or we are wrong.

Tom
Lie Nielsen just got a limited batch of scrub planes in stock.