Tenons on Bandsaw
Chuck, the point is that the tenon cannot be an arbitrary size - one that results from flipping a stretcher. The tenon and the mortice have to sync. The mortice is either made with a router bit, a mortice machine with mortice bit, or a chisel. These dictate the size of the mortice and tenon .... which ever is closest to the 1/3 Rule.

It is not necessary to center a tenon exactly. All one needs to a common reference side. A little more here-or-there makes no difference. It all lines up because of the reference side being common to all measurements. That is efficient joint making. One does not need lots of test fits to do this. You can be successful with your method, but it is not efficient.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(02-01-2021, 11:46 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Chuck, the point is that the tenon cannot be an arbitrary size - one that results from flipping a stretcher. The tenon and the mortice have to synch. The mortice is either made with a router bit, a mortice machine with mortice bit, or a chisel. These dictate the size of the mortice and tenon .... which ever is closest to the 1/3 Rule.

It is not necessary to center a tenon exactly. All one needs to a common reference side. A little more here-or-there makes no difference. It all lines up because of the reference side being common to all measurements. That is efficient joint making. One does not need lots of test fits to do this. You can be successful with your method, but it is not efficient.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ok, Derek, I get your point and understand the work flow for that arrangement.  

Do you use the same approach for the edge cuts?
Chuck, I am not sure what you mean by “edge cuts”. Please explain. Pictures are good.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(02-01-2021, 12:50 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Chuck, I am not sure what you mean by “edge cuts”. Please explain. Pictures are good.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Pic below.

Do you use the same spacer for face and edge cuts on the bandsaw?

[Image: mortise-tenin-parts-lead-541x490.jpg]
Chuck, assuming that there will be several stretchers to saw, and not just one, I would set up the tablesaw to do the shoulder cuts. This can leave a perfectly flat and square edge, unlike the bandsaw (which can be seen in the video). Otherwise, if just a couple, I would simply just saw the shoulders with a backsaw, and fine tune (undercut the shoulders) with a chisel.

Regards from Perth

Derek