Case for a Combo plane
Ok...Cleaned off the bench (for now, it has a way of filling right back up)...

Got a few tools ready..

Wanted to check that Winchester square out, anyway.   Pencils needed sharpened...Needed to find out what length to cut the 2 long sides to...

Used the Cordless Mitersaw, cut one of the 5 planks down at bit....trying to get 2 sides from one plank...
Cool  

Not much left out of 24".   Set these aside for a bit...figured out how wide the case needs to be (6") and cut two of those...left enough for a lid panel...still have 3 more planks at 24" long.    Planks are 5-1/2" wide.   1/2" thick.    Reset the Stanley Marking gauge...

Ground a better end to that "nail", and retracted it a bit.....set the distance at the same as the thickness of the planks.   We be doing Finger/box joints..
Marked all around all the ends.    then set the 2 sides together in the vise....needed to shoot the ends a bit..

As one side was a hair longer than the other side.   Stanley No. 9-1/2 for the shots. 

Baselines were marked a bit better, to where I could actually SEE them.    Finger spacing was done with the chisel I'll be chopping with..

Then a square to run those lines down and around..

Then set up the Geo.H. Bishop No. 10 saw....

The saw's plate can be slid up or down, that bar acting like a depth stop.    Trick is to get both ends the same distance above the tooth line.

Decided to split up the two sides, and work on just one corner at a time.   

Stay tuned, part 2 is coming right up...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Part 2....

Test the saw depth setting, to make sure the bar stays put, and it doesn't cut too deep..

Have a seat..easier to run the saw this way....

About 8 full strokes of the saw to get to where the saw stops cutting, thanks to the depth stop bar...

Doesn't take all that long to make all these cuts.   Set up a way to start to chop the waste out...

Dryer was done ( was on Laundry Detail, too) and my back was getting too sore....spent a 4-day weekend laying in a Hospital bed....back wasn't quite ready for a lot of shopwork......decided to just stop for the day....had spent about an hour in the shop.  

Maybe tomorrow, I can do a wee bit more?
Confused   We'll see..

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Good start. Take your time till you’re all mended.

Sometime when you get a chance, you will have to tell us more about that saw with the depth stop. Never seen one like it.
That be the Geo. H. Bishop No. 10.....plate has two toothed edges...one coarse, one Fine.    Toe of the plate has a row of non-sharpened teeth, these grip the bar out on the end.

You can set whichever row of teeth to where you can make a cut with them.....Plate can slide out, be flipped over, and slid back in....plate can be set to however deep you need it to cut.  Bar slides back to engage the toothed toe....locks it in place.....Thumbscrew locks the heel in place into the handle.

Disston made a "knock-off" model....just the end was with a bolt.
That's an interesting saw.  Wonder why you don't see that kind of saw setup anymore?
Ok...a tale of two trips to the shop....interrupted by a sore back needing a rest....

Corner #1...all chopped.  Used this to lay out the matching fingers...

Chop out the waste, try a dry fit...

Repeat for corner #2...

By this time, back was hurting....so, I dry fitted things to see how the plane will fit...before I shut down for a while..

Hmmm, gonna be a bit snug....went upstairs for the afternoon....back started feeling better after supper..soooo..

Returned to the shop, and completed corners #3 and #4...

Side view...and a view of the "Front" corner..

And a view of the inside..

Will need to mill a shallow dado where the main handle contact the end of the box....also need to mill grooves for the bottom panel to reside in...TOMORROW..

Back is sore, yet again....will see how tomorrow goes...
Confused

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Late last night, got bored sitting around..dangerous, I know 
Uhoh   Snuck back to the shop one last time

Nickel Plate was put to work, making 1/4" x 1/4" grooves to house the plywood bottom for the box...Type 3 was put to work as well, making a dado to house the handle..

As the plane was a hair too long....for the space.  

It did fit, but was a bit too snug.   dado will help make it fit a bit better.

Did a dry run, with the clamps..

To see how they all will go on the box...

This morning...went to do the glue up...

Clamps at the ready, parts all set out, ready to go....except..there wasn't any glue IN the shop
Upset    Daughter had "borrowed" the glue bottle...had to stop everything, and head to Wall E World, and buy a new bottle...

Then, I could spread some glue, grab some clamps, add some cauls..

And we have a glue-up....not without issues, of course.....bottom panel was a 1/8" too long....buzzed that off...

Didn't like how the dado was looking, cleaned that up as well.....letting this sit a day....whilst I work on the parts for the lid....Lid's  Pine panel is also in the clamps...needed to widen the panel a bit.   Also ripped and crosscut the 4 sides of the lid....finger joints at the corners, rebate where it will meet the box's top edge.  Groove to house the panel into the lid's frame.    Matching rebates to create a dust seal between the box and the lid.  

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Lets see how all that translates into pictures....
pine panel for the box's lid, in the clamps....

Frame parts...ripped to 1-1/2" wide, cross cut as needed..

Next day, remove the clamps, whack the cauls so they will pop off...and sand and plane the box..

Next, cut a rebate all around the edge of the box....

Slide the combo plane into the box, and check the fit, and cut & fit a "pad" for it to sit on..

Set box aside, for now.....panel for the lid is removed from it's clamps....glue joint cleaned up..

Trimmed for length and width, until it fits the frame...

Then start of the rebates and grooves...rebates for the panel...

That fits into grooves in the frame pieces..

Which leaves rebates to match the ones on the box...to form a dust seal..

Got these 4 rebates done,,,decided my back had had enough, for one day...

Stay tuned....Frame needs corner joints milled.....finger joints with a twist....
That case looks pretty tight to the plane.  Did you get all the bits and bobs that go with it?  If so, where will they live?

Otherwise, looking really good.
Plenty of room in the box..even with the plane in there..
Winkgrin 

between the rear rod and the back wall.   nice area to set a box of cutters....that I'll need to make.   Right now, it is borrowing cutters from the Type 20..

Lots of fancy cuts, today.....starting out with a miter cut..

Then these...

Winds up like this..

Goal being no big holes showing....short ends had to match..
Circled is the second one....getting better, and tighter each time...

Problem....panel was a little too wide....between the Stanley 45 and this jack plane..

And keep doing dry fits...

Was soon able to get out the clamps and the glue....

And, a look at the inside of the lid...

Supposed to get 2 packages today...too much snow (4" ?)  for them to be delivered here.
Upset ...supposed to try tomorrow....I have a kid that will shovel the walkway..

Then, maybe I can clean this lid up, and see about installing it?

Stay tuned
Winkgrin