Case for a Combo plane
Well....finishing up a snack, right now.    Two items just came in the mail today...finally.  The pair of LONG rods and the large depth stop are now here....Might start shopping for cutters, next...

Once my snack is done...I'll head down to the shop, and work on that lid a while...

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Guess I had better get this post caught up..
Rolleyes 

Lid came out of the clamps....

Not looking all that "perfect"   we have a few ways....some with sanders...some with..

Not so noisy methods.....Had an issue....dust seal on one end was a bit too....fat.   had to slim it down so the lid will fit..

Once that happened, I could clamp the lid and add hinges.   1st set was too small...tried this set, instead...clamps keep things aligned, flip the case over..

and make sure the latch will work...

Decided I did not like all them sharp corners...wanted a more ..."lived-in" appearance...

Block plane to round over the edges a bit...sander to smooth them out....about time to add a coat of stain?

Minwax calls this "Gunstock"...

Helps blend in the hardware?

Let this sit a day....wiped down to even things out..then maybe a coat of clear gloss poly?   Then some Stanley labels, then a second coat of varnish?

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
All done....had to print out a few labels...
Cool 

Ones for the end of the box...and

One that needed a little filling in, before it could go on the lid...

Found a screwdriver that seemed to fit in..

Long rods showed up, and the main stock depth stop, too...

Stowed the rods on the floor of the case.   Installed the depth stop where it belonged..

Dado in the end of the case is for the handle of the plane to slide into the box.   Allows the plane to be set in, still assembled

And, allows the lid to close and latch..

A Type 3 Stanley No. 45 might have had a slightly different case....but, this seems to fit in....Might even hold up better than those pasteboard boxes?

I think that will do...for this little project....hope I didn't bore anyone
Winkgrin
Cool looking tags!

I feel conflicted about boxing individual tools. For a single purpose, like the Boeing Tool Cage, the box fits into a 'library' for checkout. Or, the storage needs grow exponentially with the various containers, especially when minimally sized for the tool. A tool set box goes onto the shelf. However, the system works well for organizing parts specific to the particular tool. I just find clutter in little batches, after fitting the initial parts and more pieces show up. The tool is buried in loose clutter. 

I collected the nicely built, sturdy--really sturdy boxes from the Boeing Surplus Store but most were too specialized for common use. My wife commandeered one for recipes. The best from Boeing were the typical plastic, standard size storage boxes. A few years after the surplus store closed I found those better containers at a thrift store and filled out my collection.  I have packages of construction screws and nails waiting to go into those containers. If I can find the hardware.....
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Think I found a better screwdriver, than the first one...
Cool

Second from the right?     1st on the right is too...long.   3rd from the right is by Goodell Pratt Co.  and not for Stanley made tools.  Not sure WHAT that last one is/was....One on the far left was going to be used...was just too..big. 

have a Beading Stop coming in the mail....we'll see which 45 it will call home.   Still trying to win a box of cutters for the Type 3 #45....right now, I really don't care about them having, or not having a notch.....
Confused 

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Not bored here.  I have one of these that might need a new storage box.
Excuse me if this has already been explained, was this a "replica" or a custom box?

I need to build one for a 45 and 55. I've been putting it off for years. Glad to see someone got there's done.
This was made to fit this Stanley No. 45, so that it stays assembled.....a Custom Replica Box, I guess...

My Type 20 No. 45 resides in a replacement box....to replace the OEM box the USPS  all but destroyed..

The Type 20 was made up in Roxton Pond, QUE. Canada....and has the SW logo....I made an exact copy of the original box....

Current project is a Type 3.....right about they started to nickel plate things....OEM box may have been with a sliding lid?

This is how the Type 20 held all of it's 24 cutters...in 2 rows.
A Beading Stop has arrived here....not sure which #45 will lay a claim to it..yet...
Rolleyes

Depends on which one wants to do beaded T&G boards......
Winkgrin

Won an auction last night....there is now a box of 13 cutters on their way here....$136 + S&H + Ohio Sales Tax....ouch..
Upset

Will post when they get here...next week...via Pony Express/Dog Sled.....
Uhoh
Expected to arrive in my mailbox Saturday's mail delivery....we will see.    Been putting the Type 20 through it's paces....grooves and beads....bead cutter needed sharpened....then sharpened the #12 groove cutter when it came back out of the 45.....

Looks like I'll be busy sharpening the batch that's on it's way here....
Rolleyes