Other uses for floor poly?
Anybody here ever use floor poly on anything other than floors? I have 11 solid wood pine doors to finish and was just going to use BLO and polyurethane. Brother in law suggested using Fabulon floor poly because it is cheap and more durable than regular poly.

Wasn’t sure if this was a good idea due to viscosity or application issues. After all, if it’s so great why not use it on everything. Did find a few mentions that “this product can be used on all interior wood including doors, floors, cabinets and furniture” , so this was reassuring.

Your thoughts?
I was just wondering the same thing a day or two ago.  I can't think of any reason you shouldn't use it.  Try some test parts to see if you an apply it uniformly and how it looks and feels.  Proceed accordingly.  

John
I have used WB floor poly on drawers and shop jigs.

I can't tell the difference.
(02-04-2021, 12:00 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: I have used WB floor poly on drawers and shop jigs.

I can't tell the difference.

+1

I use a lot of the Parks WB "Pro Finisher" floor poly on all sorts of things. It takes several coats but is very durable, dries "water clear". Can re-coat in 1/2 an hour and it's cheap.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Many years ago I used a product named Fabulon on a piece of furniture and it was just fine. This was long before polyurethane was "the thing". More recently, I read an article that said floor finish products have a chemical in them that makes the cured finish harder and tougher. From memory, I think it was aluminum oxide. Apparently, with more than 3 coats, this will cause the finish to gey a bit cloudy. Other than that, it is no different than any other finishing product.
I have used Bona Mega WB product on my front door and garage door, I did lay them flat before applying the finish. 5 years and still looks like the day I put it on.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I've never used it like that.  It is a high-build finish so it will apply fairly thick.  On horizontal surfaces (like a countertop) it sounds like a good choice.  It is going to be a hard finish.

I'm not sure how well it will do on outside doors in a 4-season environment.  You usually want to use something like marine varnish which is flexible and will expand and contract with the seasons.  Marine finishes are more expensive, but less suited to surfaces that are seeing hard use and are indoors.

For vertical surfaces, I would test to see if there is excessive amounts of runs.  Typically floor finishes suggest longer cure times with 1 week (about 200 hours) being suggested before putting down rugs.

I have never heard about spraying floor finishes.  Slow drying floor finishes level beautifully.  I never applied a fast drying floor finish, so no information there.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.