Dewalt DW788 Scroll Saw
Going to look at one tomorrow. Type 1 - don't know the birth year. My research says these are a pretty good saw. See it actually being rated #1 in some reviews. What say you scrollers? Tips?

Thanks,

Doug
I love mine.  Only issue is to tighten the lower pinless holder.  I made a wrench using 1/2" pvc pipe.  I did have to blow out dust from the switch a while back.  This is my third scroll saw - the others were junk in comparison to the Dewalt.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(01-30-2021, 09:31 PM)John Mihich Wrote: I love mine.  Only issue is to tighten the lower pinless holder.  I made a wrench using 1/2" pvc pipe.  I did have to blow out dust from the switch a while back.  This is my third scroll saw - the others were junk in comparison to the Dewalt.

Thanks for your comments, John. Anyone else?

Doug
I had a Dewalt for many years.  It was a good saw.  Mine was a type 2 and I never had any problems with it, other than normal wear type stuff.  I sold it a few years ago and replaced it with an Excalibur 21.

I don't think there is anything really all that magical about the type 1's.  There were a number of problems with the first few production runs of the Type 2's then they moved manufacturing from Canada to Taiwan, but generally speaking, I think they've been pretty solid since.

There are a number of videos available showing how to fix some of the common problems that can arise with saws that have seen a lot of use.  There are a number of bearings that may need replaced or re-greased to make the saw run smooth and quiet, if you happen to develop any knocking or vibration.

Here is a link to an example;

There are several other sites with good videos on how to maintain & repair these saws should they need it.

With that out of the way, a couple pieces of advice;  If the saw doesn't already have one, get a footswitch ( I prefer the deadman style) and a Jim Dandy Easy Lift  https://jimdandy.com/products/easy-lift-...-saw-dw788

These 2 accessories will make scrolling a lot more enjoyable, especially if you choose to do fretwork.  Add supplemental light over your saw, preferably aimed from both sides.  This will help you see the line better and help distinguish the small black blade from the black pattern line.

The blade clamps tend to wear out over time.  The clamp bodies are made from pot metal and the thumbscrews that hold the blade have steel threads.  They will eventually strip the threads in the clamp body.  Replacements aren't all that expensive, but using OEM parts, you will eventually need to replace them again.  These aftermarket blade clamps are pretty pricey, but word in the scrolling forums is that they are a worthwhile upgrade.  https://www.bearwood.com/product6155.html

You can prolong the life of your clamps if you don't over tighten them.  If you have problems with blades slipping out, there are other ways to address that issue. 

I could go on & on, but ultimately I think you will enjoy the Dewalt.  They are a very user friendly saw and scrolling can be a addicting.  Have fun!
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Thanks Bill for your comments, advice and suggestions. I'll bookmark these links for future reference. I took a look at the saw today and gave it a test drive. I was impressed with how smooth and quiet it sounded and it seemed to cut the sample pieces of scrap I had brought along, with ease and no burning. The seller also included what looks like a complete set of Dewalt blades of different sizes and thickness, along with the original owner's manual. Saw also came with Dewalt light and stand.

Mind you, this was the first time I've ever operated a scroll saw. I have a future project planned for our home that will involve quite a bit of scroll sawing. This was pretty much an impulse buy for me. I was cruising through local Craigslist ads yesterday, actually looking for another tool, when I saw this one for sale at a bargain price. Turned out it was a "don't want" seller - saw came home with me - a win-win. Hopefully it holds up - we'll see.

Doug
Regarding blades, there are essentially 3 brands that are used my most scrollers, Flying Dutchman, Olson and Pegas.  Flying Dutchman and Olson have been around for a long time.  I use both.  Pegas is a late comer to the game, but a lot of scrollers swear by them.  I haven't tried them yet, so I can't comment.  A friend did give me a sample pack, so I'll be checking them out.

Buy the blades on-line.  It's a lot cheaper.  SS blades are like sand paper.  They are a consumable.  THey don't stay sharp all that long.  I once heard somebody say they estimate that the average scroll saw blade lasts for about 15 minutes of continuous cutting.  Lots of variables to that equation, but it gives you a frame of reference.

I typically buy my blades from Wooden Teddy Bear https://woodenteddybear.com/?gclid=EAIaI...gI_Q_D_BwE  They carry both Olson and Flying Dutchman.

Congratulations.   You got a fine saw. 
Yes
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(02-01-2021, 12:00 AM)Tapper Wrote: Thanks Bill for your comments, advice and suggestions. I'll bookmark these links for future reference. I took a look at the saw today and gave it a test drive. I was impressed with how smooth and quiet it sounded and it seemed to cut the sample pieces of scrap I had brought along, with ease and no burning. The seller also included what looks like a complete set of Dewalt blades of different sizes and thickness, along with the original owner's manual. Saw also came with Dewalt light and stand.

Mind you, this was the first time I've ever operated a scroll saw. I have a future project planned for our home that will involve quite a bit of scroll sawing. This was pretty much an impulse buy for me. I was cruising through local Craigslist ads yesterday, actually looking for another tool, when I saw this one for sale at a bargain price. Turned out it was a "don't want" seller - saw came home with me - a win-win. Hopefully it holds up - we'll see.

Doug

Sounds like you snagged a good one, Doug....There's lots of info online regarding the DeWalt...probably more than any other brand...I snagged mine off Craigslist about three weeks ago and I am in the engineering stages of installing a really good machine lamp that I won at auction a couple years ago..I checked and found this to have been made in Canada and it is solid as a rock..much heavier than I had anticipated..I needed help getting it in and out of my van..former owner had mounted it on a rolling stand so that helps..

[Image: 5-k29v-AJSc-GH873hiabh-RA.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Type 1's made in Canada are the best ones to get if in good condition as the quality of manufacturing is much higher. Ask any big time scroller about the type 1's over there later models . I would check out Scroll saw village as that site is nothing but scrollers. What is your location and price of the saw?
You can run a bolt thru the rear leg and put a couple roller blade wheels on the bolt/axle. Just lift the front of the saw stand to engage the wheels on the far end. This way it sits solidly for use without haveing any foot space taken up by the current rolling stand.
My .02
Karl

"What is your location and price of the saw?"

Montana - $250

DT