Bathroom Sink Gurgles when toilet flushed
In November we finished having the master bath remodeled.  This included moving the single vanity and sink across the room and making it a double vanity with two sinks.  Recently, a week or so, wife noticed that whenever she flushed the toilet, the farthest away sink gurgled. I also noticed it yesterday when I used that particular toilet. Given that my plumbing skills are usually limited to turning the taps on and off and putting the stopper in the bottom of the sink, I have managed to change the washer on the taps a time or two. 

So my questions come down to:
1. What is causing this gurgling approximately two months after the job was finished, 
2. Is it something I can fix myself and if so, how, 
3. Do I suck it up and call a plumber.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions and advice.
The gurgling in that sink would indicate to me that when the toilet flushed, the pressure differential at the sink is sufficiently strong to be pulling water out of the J trap in that sink. 

When you moved the sink to the other side of the room, how did you vent it?  Did you install a new vent stack or did you tie in to the old one in some fashion?

Somehow, the venting isn't right IMHO.
(02-01-2021, 03:48 PM)WxMan Wrote: The gurgling in that sink would indicate to me that when the toilet flushed, the pressure differential at the sink is sufficiently strong to be pulling water out of the J trap in that sink. 

When you moved the sink to the other side of the room, how did you vent it?  Did you install a new vent stack or did you tie in to the old one in some fashion?

Somehow, the venting isn't right IMHO.

Agreed that it is a vent issue. Could something be blocking the main toilet vent ?   Depending on where your at it could be ice.  Roly
I'd check on adding a vent to that sink. One can be added in the existing drain under the sink.
It's a ball/float type vent. Exact name of it escapes me at the moment.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-01-2021, 07:28 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I'd check on adding a vent to that sink. One can be added in the existing drain under the sink.
It's a ball/float type vent. Exact name of it escapes me at the moment.

Air admittance valves, Studor valves, there may be other names.

Some jurisdictions don't allow them by code, and some installation requirements may make them difficult to install.  For example, they may be required to be installed a minimum distance higher than the highest level of water that can accumulate in the bowl of the sink.

I would add for the OP:  You implied that you had this work done by somebody else.  Was the remodeling work done by a licensed contractor?  If so, what do they have to say about the gurgling sink?
(02-01-2021, 07:39 PM)WxMan Wrote: Air admittance valves, Studor valves, there may be other names.

Some jurisdictions don't allow them by code, and some installation requirements may make them difficult to install.  For example, they may be required to be installed a minimum distance higher than the highest level of water that can accumulate in the bowl of the sink.

I would add for the OP:  You implied that you had this work done by somebody else.  Was the remodeling work done by a licensed contractor?  If so, what do they have to say about the gurgling sink?

I think the reason why the toilet is trying to vent thru the vanity is more of the issue.  Roly
Thanks for all the help.  Yes the work was done by a licensed contractor.  He is contacting the plumber today to come by a check out the situation. Contractor agreed that it sounded like something was impeding the vent.  We haven't had ice down here yet so more likely a bird or squirrel put something in the vent.  Again thanks for you assistance.
We had a similar situation many years ago. The plumber went on the roof, put a snake down the vent and pulled out a stuffed bear, one of my boys.

Needless to say, they were interrogated about it, and how in the world they got on the roof. 25 years ago and they deny it to this day.
(02-03-2021, 03:25 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: We had a similar situation many years ago.  The plumber went on the roof, put a snake down the vent and pulled out a stuffed bear, one of my boys.

Needless to say, they were interrogated about it, and how in the world they got on the roof.  25 years ago and they deny it to this day.

Sweat 'em!  Gotta get to the bottom of the cold case of "Who kilt Mr. Teddy?"  
Laugh