Powermatic PM2014
FYI...when it comes in it will be bench mounted for a short time, till I get all of the supplies and plans ready for the leg and cabinet build. There's no way I would leave it in the box un-tried-out
it just got delivered, and the tailstock is beefy. I can see already for me, the need for a swing away storage. It's going to be a good evening out on the shop.
(02-08-2021, 03:32 PM)charliez Wrote: it just got delivered, and the tailstock is beefy. I can see already for me, the need for a swing away storage. It's going to be a good evening out on the shop.

Sweet. Looking forward to setup pictures.
(02-08-2021, 03:32 PM)charliez Wrote: it just got delivered, and the tailstock is beefy.  I can see already for me, the need for a swing away storage.  It's going to be a good evening out on the shop.

I am looking forward to seeing how you proceed.

I have a cable-operated shoplift. If I do not get a swing-away, I am considering making a slide-off for the shoplift. If I go that way, I will make one to match the 3520B and one to match my 1642.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I'm also looking into getting this model but with the stand (legs) and the bed extension, it seems to be the best lathe that runs on 110 V, but if I can get 220 out to my shop I'll go a different direction. I will be very interested in what you think about the size and power on the PM2014.
First thoughts....

It was smaller than I thought it would be. Of course I had in my mind pictures of seeing the only two PM's, a 352a0 and a 4224. I would not call it a mini. It will dwarf a small tabletop Jet. It is a beast for it's size and it is heavy. I was not expecting it for another week so it rode home in the Hooptie. (a $200 Toyota Corolla that just won't die..hey it goes and it keeps miles off my nice truck). It was a load for it. Felt like the front wheels was going to come off the ground. I loaded it in parts and made sure the path was clear along with where I was going to set each component.

It's mounted onto my current bench where the old timer was. It feels way too tall but that will change.

For the lathe itself. I am so glad I went with it. It runs so quiet and smooth. Everything about it looks to be first class. It is Heavy-D and Silky-Smooth al in one. I expected that my chuck wouldn't fit but I was still hoping. No dice. So that will be figured out today. Probably creating another deliver in two days.

There was no way I wasn't going to "Makin Shavins" as the Captain would say. (Kudos to him as I have learned a ton form him). Considering I've never invested in a proper sharpening system, it cut very well. I put a piece of mesquite that was just laying on the top of the pile. It was long and narrow, and sounded like an airplane. Having the remote over on the right side is fantastic. One some of the other brands, I have seen videos where they have odd stop and start procedures. Not this. Green and it goes, red and it stops. It has a motor brake so it stops smooth but quick. The dial is not so sensitive that you jump 100 rpms at a touch. Reverse is on the remote and is as simple as it can be. I had never used anything with indexing so I tried that. It breaks it up into a counter and each number up is 15 degrees. I have a couple of things in mind where I can see I will use that. Changing the belt was a little difficult. I think it's because the belt is new and its tight even with the motor lifted. I don't think it's something I will do too often and I think as the belt wears in it will become easier.

Dropping the tool post into the hole definitely required you to use the finger to separate the wedges but that's nothing. I figured out that it's lees of a need of you back off the clamp bolt a bit more. I can see adding a bevel to the bottom of the post would eliminate that. That's what Billy Burt talked about.

Right now I can't think of too much more I should add. There will be more coming as I get set back up. I'm also moving into a new phone (it got delivered right as the first power up happened) so I got a couple of pics that are on the old phone with no service now. I'll see if I can move them over and upload them.

So to close for now...I wish I would have ordered this sooner.
Photo 
Old 1952 King Sealy...Did hundreds of turnings on her.

Attached Files Image(s)

New delivery waiting to be revealed

Attached Files Image(s)

Oh that new lathe smell

Attached Files Image(s)

On the bench, this will be changing

Attached Files Image(s)