Powermatic PM2014
Powermatic PM2014

Anybody have one?  I have one on the way, and I'm looking forward to it's arrival.
(02-02-2021, 08:11 AM)charliez Wrote: Powermatic PM2014

Anybody have one?  I have one on the way, and I'm looking forward to it's arrival.

Please give us a review, I saw one at woodcraft looked like a nice machine.
thanks
Will do....I can't wait.

I got the bed extension but no the legs. From what I have seen, they are stamped metal. Unlike the bigger models that have the cast legs. And where it's going in my shop, I think I would rather make up a set myself. I can have paint mixed to match. I'll also work on a cabinet to go below for all my turning tooling.
I have had one for a few weeks now. Really liking it so far. Good call on the legs - I got the stand on the secondary market for half price and still don't really think it was worth that much.

This was a big step up from the terrible Rikon 70-050vs it replaced (maybe mine was worse than most, I don't know, but I swore off all Rikon tools if they were willing to put their name on that thing). The 2014 runs so much smoother that all my tools feel sharper now, even my drill bits cut better. It won't make me a better turner (no lathe can do that) but it won't get in the way of my becoming one.

Hoping they release a tailstock swing that fits it.

Only complaints are relatively minor like the tool holder attaches in a weird place so things sticking up can be in the way when removing the tailstock for hollowing.

The extra threaded holes on the top of the headstock for mounting lights or dust collection are a nice touch.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
the tool holder attaches in a weird place

That was my thoughts watching some unboxing and setup videos. That certainly won't be the case for me as mine will all be going in some kind of cabinet integrated into my stand, still yet to be determined. While watching the very few and far between tracking updates, I'm getting the ole 50's model out of the way, and I'm clearing the entire workbench down to bare wood. I cant remember when or if it's ever been 100% cleared off. I guess I'm in the boat of what happens to a lot of shops. I've got a 24 x 24 building that has gotten where there's so much everywhere that I'm only using 25% of it. That is changing. Part of this process is getting it de-cluttered so I can use it all again. My trailer is getting backed to the door every day and more added to it to be hauled off.

I am considering making my own tail stock swing attachment. But I didn't want to dive into that till I have the tail stock in hand to see if I need to or if it's small enough, being the smaller version that I can just set it aside.

I never invested in much sharpening before, so that is something I will be investigating today and into the weekend. I think I am going to get a separate bench grinder setup just for sharpening my turning tools, because i use the regular grinder for odd things all the time. Mower blades, etc.

I will be getting some color matched paint as part of my setup process, so I can paint the stand the correct mustard flavor and keep things touched up.
Let me know if you are going to build a tailstock swing - if they haven't announced an official one by then, I may try to throw money at you to make a second one at the same time. My shop time is a bit limited these days and I would rather spend it turning.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
If I build a swing away tail stock gizmo, it will depend on the weight. I'm guessing it won't be as massive as one on a 4224. We'll just have to see when it gets here.

I ran into my first disappointment about an hour ago. The order for the bed extension got canceled. Says it's not available at this time, check back later. I couldn't find any vendor that can say they can get it no, so....I'll be making my own. I'm planning on using it for outboard turning and I think I will be fine making my own. All I'll need is to hold the banjo solid. I think I can do that with my own fabrication. The biggest challenge will be the tool post extension. I'll have to think about that.

I decided to order a nice heavy scraper and a new face shield instead.
Thinking about it, my 50's lathe was so basic I don't think I have ever removed the tail stock. if I did it was about the size of a softball so there would have never been a weight issue.
I am having a problem visualizing how you are going to do a tailstock swing-away with the lathe sitting on a benchtop.

Could you say some more about what you have in mind?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I am having a problem visualizing how you are going to do a tailstock swing-away with the lathe sitting on a bench top.

Could you say some more about what you have in mind?

Look at my response above. I didn't order the leg set because in all of the setup videos I've seen, they don't look like PM did their best effort, although the idea for them behind this model is to make it portable, so it can be taken to shows for demonstrations, and things like that.

I will be building my own stand with a cabinet. The stand will be metal, and both ends of the lathe will be accessible. Now, it looks like I will be building my own bed extension.

I still dont' know if I will do a swing away for the tailstock. That is still to be determined after it gets here