Tired of your old block plane??
Make your own and put your own spin on it..They don't all have to look like the "Krenov Special "
Big Grin ....Unknown scrap hardwood body...Koa sole with brass wear inserts...This one is about 12yrs old now....almost a teenager!!  Fun to make..
Winkgrin

[Image: fullsizeoutput-f94.jpg]

[Image: j-LGWRz-C4-QHm1-EP8-El94o-SA.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Looks Great, Jack! What did you use for the blade?
(02-02-2021, 11:14 AM)pgriff Wrote: Looks Great, Jack! What did you use for the blade?

I had a small stash of 01 tool steel about .090" and I hardened the last inch of it...nothing special...just playing around with scrap wood etc...I have thought about making a functioning block plane shaped sorta like a baby's "hi-top" shoe but haven't gotten around to it yet...I hope other woodnetters will post photos of whimsical tools they have made...From one another is how we get ideas for our future projects..
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-02-2021, 11:14 AM)pgriff Wrote: Looks Great, Jack! What did you use for the blade?

Here's what I was talking about...A Sargent all steel baby block 4" long with screw adjustable blade {forgot the number} I have always thought it was shaped similar to a baby shoe...and I have called it my "baby shoe" block for many years.. One could be made very similar to that in all wood...
Big Grin

[Image: z-HS-RXJTCu-YZjk-BW-YU5w.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Very
Cool
Cool
Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

It looks great (the wooden one).  The more you post, the more you show you could start your own youtube channel.  You have tons of material.
(02-02-2021, 01:24 PM)stav Wrote: It looks great (the wooden one).  The more you post, the more you show you could start your own youtube channel.  You have tons of material.

Thanks, I "may" have the material but I just do not have the talent..." A man's gotta know his limitations"..
Rolleyes
Laugh

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-02-2021, 10:55 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: Make your own and put your own spin on it..They don't all have to look like the "Krenov Special "
Big Grin ....Unknown scrap hardwood body...Koa sole with brass wear inserts...This one is about 12yrs old now....almost a teenager!!  Fun to make..
Winkgrin

[Image: fullsizeoutput-f94.jpg]

[Image: j-LGWRz-C4-QHm1-EP8-El94o-SA.jpg]

nice work Jack.  Your unknown scrap wood looks like Cherry to me.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(02-02-2021, 05:18 PM)FireWood Wrote: nice work Jack.  Your unknown scrap wood looks like Cherry to me.

Thanks...I thought Cherry also, but wasn't really sure..I think I used a few rubbed coats of Garnet shellac so that may have affected the color somewhat..I use it a lot..

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-02-2021, 11:44 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..................
Here's what I was talking about...A Sargent all steel baby block 4" long with screw adjustable blade {forgot the number} I have always thought it was shaped similar to a baby shoe...and I have called it my "baby shoe" block for many years.. One could be made very similar to that in all wood...
Big Grin

[Image: z-HS-RXJTCu-YZjk-BW-YU5w.jpg]

Well, as a matter of fact, I DID make an all-wood copy.
Back in the 70's, I aspired to be a luthier, and wanted a small plane for shaping guitar braces. I had a Sargent plane like yours, but the mouth was too big.So I made a copy, using East Indian Rosewood and brass.

The plane is made from 5 pieces, glued together with epoxy.The sole is a separate piece. The lever cap is rosewood, with a brass plate rabbeted in for the lever cap screw threads. The blade is made from a high-speed steel power hacksaw blade. The brass piece for the adjuster is silver-soldered on to the blade.(I figured that since it was HSS, it wouldn't affect the temper of the blade).
I added a piece of brass underneath the adjuster to prevent wear on the plane body. The adjuster just sits on it, it isn't captured. Therefore, I can only adjust the plane in one direction.
It really doesn't work very well. The mouth is too narrow, and the blade adjuster doesn't work well, as I said. I may go back and modify it, now that I know more about what I'm doing.
Anyway, here it is: a wooden copy of the Sargent block plane.
Rick W