Tired of your old block plane??
(02-04-2021, 06:04 PM)RickW Wrote: Well, as a matter of fact, I DID make an all-wood copy.
Back in the 70's, I aspired to be a luthier, and wanted a small plane for shaping guitar braces. I had a Sargent plane like yours, but the mouth was too big.So I made a copy, using East Indian Rosewood and brass.

The plane is made from 5 pieces, glued together with epoxy.The sole is a separate piece. The lever cap is rosewood, with a brass plate rabbeted in for the lever cap screw threads. The blade is made from a high-speed steel power hacksaw blade. The brass piece for the adjuster is silver-soldered on to the blade.(I figured that since it was HSS, it wouldn't affect the temper of the blade).
I added a piece of brass underneath the adjuster to prevent wear on the plane body. The adjuster just sits on it, it isn't captured. Therefore, I can only adjust the plane in one direction.
It really doesn't work very well. The mouth is too narrow, and the blade adjuster doesn't work well, as I said. I may go back and modify it, now that I know more about what I'm doing.
Anyway, here it is: a wooden copy of the Sargent block plane.
Rick W
Nice work, Rick...I love it !!!!!!!!..I would make more but medical and age problems might have something to say about that, altho they have not dampened my enthusiasm for doing so..I still have some 1/8" brass and some bronze flat stock on hand so one day I may dabble into making some more miniatures..I like the way Bill Carter makes his and have kinda copied his style a bit...

Here's one of my attempts at making a brass luthier's plane...Little bugger works like a charm.....
Big Grin

[Image: P1030321.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-04-2021, 09:41 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ............................
Nice work, Rick...I love it !!!!!!!!..I would make more but medical and age problems might have something to say about that, altho they have not dampened my enthusiasm for doing so..I still have some 1/8" brass and some bronze flat stock on hand so one day I may dabble into making some more miniatures..I like the way Bill Carter makes his and have kinda copied his style a bit...

Here's one of my attempts at making a brass luthier's plane...Little bugger works like a charm.....
Big Grin

[Image: P1030321.jpg]
WOW!
Now, THAT'S a luthier's plane!
Rick
(02-02-2021, 10:55 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: Make your own and put your own spin on it..They don't all have to look like the "Krenov Special "
Big Grin ....Unknown scrap hardwood body...Koa sole with brass wear inserts...This one is about 12yrs old now....almost a teenager!!  Fun to make..
Winkgrin

[Image: fullsizeoutput-f94.jpg]

[Image: j-LGWRz-C4-QHm1-EP8-El94o-SA.jpg]

Do you have to drink Belgian Beer to use that? Its got a funky Dutch plane mojo that Schwarz would love.
(02-08-2021, 08:20 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Do you have to drink Belgian Beer to use that? Its got a funky Dutch plane mojo that Schwarz would love.

Just think...it started out to be a Viking head...never know how these things will turn out.....
Crazy
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset