Your favorite sanding sponge or profile sanding technique?
I need a better method to sand round overs on plywood than with folded-over paper.

I'm thinking sanding sponges. If so, which one?

If not, then what?
Semper fi,
Brad

(02-02-2021, 07:41 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I need a better method to sand round overs on plywood than with folded-over paper.

I'm thinking sanding sponges.  If so, which one?

If not, then what?

Flap sander or mop sander. 
I put one in my drill press, run it at 1800 or so and it cleans up parts rapidly.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Lee Valley makes rubber profiles that you wrap sandpaper around. Very good assortment, use mine on almost every project.

Ed
(02-02-2021, 07:41 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I need a better method to sand round overs on plywood than with folded-over paper.

I'm thinking sanding sponges.  If so, which one?

If not, then what?

Oldest answer is a reverse profile to hold your cloth-backed paper.  As indicated, such are available as commercial products, or from your router and pine scraps. 

Sponges and mops are best for three-dimensional works like carvings and complex moldings, though I generally just burnish the latter with its own variety of shaving.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
On simple radii I still use sandpaper but put a piece of foam behind it to help it follow the contour smoothly.  On complex profiles I use abrasive foam pads.  Flap sanders would be a good approach if you have to do a lot of linear feet.  I have a shaft drive flap sander for doing moldings up to 8" wide.  I think I've used it twice.  I just haven't made as much molding as I thought I would when I bought it.  Anyone need a W&H molder with about $3K worth of knives and a flap sander?  

John
Harbor Freight sanding sponges. Made in Korea. Pack of ten for a few bucks.
Fine, medium, and coarse.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks, folks! I'll check these out.
Semper fi,
Brad

For cove profiles for example, I'll take a small piece of the 2" rigid insulation board you can get at the box stores, adhere a piece of sandpaper to the profile of the workpiece itself, run the insulation board back and forth on it till I form the form the profile on that insulation board.  Boom, you now have an exact replica sanding block.  Adhere a piece of sandpaper to your newly created sanding block and there you go!  Only takes a minute or two.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
(02-02-2021, 10:02 PM)EdL Wrote: Lee Valley makes rubber profiles that you wrap sandpaper around. Very good assortment, use mine on almost every project.

Ed

Plus #1 on the profiles, there are multuple companies that sell them cheap. They will last forever.
(02-03-2021, 04:43 PM)KLaz Wrote: For cove profiles for example, I'll take a small piece of the 2" rigid insulation board you can get at the box stores, adhere a piece of sandpaper to the profile of the workpiece itself, run the insulation board back and forth on it till I form the form the profile on that insulation board.  Boom, you now have an exact replica sanding block.  Adhere a piece of sandpaper to your newly created sanding block and there you go!  Only takes a minute or two.

That's brilliant.  
Yes