Fencing for a 15lb Dog
My back yard was originally fenced for my first dog.  He's 75 lbs and somewhat lazy.  So I used woven wire with 4" square holes for most of it, and picket fence for what you can see.  The new dog can likely walk through some of the existing fence.  Will chicken wire be enough to keep her in, or do I need to go with welded wire?  The chicken wire will be attached to the bottom 2' of the existing fence, and the picket fencing.  As a bonus I'm hoping it keeps a lot of the rabbits out. the big dog is likely strong enough to break chicken wire, but I don't think he will since he's not inclined to escape. The little one, not sure of yet.

1x2 wire fencing or "dog wire" or chicken wire will work, too.
It may more dependent on the dog herself. We have one that's 14#, and I can guarantee you she wouldn't break through chicken wire. But if she was a Jack Russel she might.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-03-2021, 03:09 PM)fredhargis Wrote: It may more dependent on the dog herself. We have one that's 14#, and I can guarantee you she wouldn't break through chicken wire. But if she was a Jack Russel she might.

Put the new wire outside of existing wire as a dog will pull the wire not push it.  If chicken wire will be strong enough depends on the dog.  I would go a little stronger on the wire to be sure as the small wire may tend to cut the dog.   Roly
(02-03-2021, 03:18 PM)Roly Wrote: Put the new wire outside of existing wire as a dog will pull the wire not push it. 

hmm.  good idea.  the dog is a cairn terrier mixed with something else.  she prefers to be around people and definitely prefers to be inside.  The big one likes to be outside.    chicken wire is slightly easier to deal with than welded, but I can switch to the welded.

(02-03-2021, 01:57 PM)crokett™ Wrote: My back yard was originally fenced for my first dog.  He's 75 lbs and somewhat lazy.  So I used woven wire with 4" square holes for most of it, and picket fence for what you can see.  The new dog can likely walk through some of the existing fence.  Will chicken wire be enough to keep her in, or do I need to go with welded wire?  The chicken wire will be attached to the bottom 2' of the existing fence, and the picket fencing.  As a bonus I'm hoping it keeps a lot of the rabbits out.   the big dog is likely strong enough to break chicken wire, but I don't think he will since he's not inclined to escape.  The little one, not sure of yet.

I used hardware cloth. It works very well and is much stronger than chicken wire. We lived in the Smoky Mountains and had copperheads and rattlesnakes. The hardware cloth kept them out!
thanks. I'll check out hardware cloth.

Neighbor has 2 german shepards and 2 yorkies he ha to use chicken wire around the bottom of his fence
We had a Cairn Terrier that climbed the chain link fence. Even put a hot fence at the top but she still climbed out and we lost her in traffic.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
One vote for hardware cloth!