WTB - grab-bag of plane handles/totes
I'm looking to restore a few old planes but am missing a variety of handles. I was wondering if anyone has a handful of front and rear handles for #4 and #5 size planes. Some are Stanely, but I've got some other brands like Shelton or Victor. I assume handles off a Stanely should fit. Now I know someone will say just to make them but that's out of the question for these particular planes. I'm looking to get them all tuned up and sell at a local establishment. Shaping wood in the way handles demand is something I'm not experienced with and it would simply take more time than I have. Any offers or insight would be appreciated.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Stanley totes, and sometimes knobs, will not fit Shelton, or many other brands of planes, so keep that in mind.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-04-2021, 10:54 AM)Admiral Wrote: Stanley totes, and sometimes knobs, will not fit Shelton, or many other brands of planes, so keep that in mind.

So with that being said, do you have any suggestions? Is it the case that I would have to search for very specific parts based on the particular plane? How would you even go about fabricating one without a solid one to work from?

Totes and knobs can fetch some decent coin all by themselves.  Just a thought, but you might consider buying some broken ones much cheaper and repairing them yourself.  A well repaired tote can be hard to see.

(02-04-2021, 08:56 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: So with that being said, do you have any suggestions? Is it the case that I would have to search for very specific parts based on the particular plane? How would you even go about fabricating one without a solid one to work from?

Well, google "lee valley plane handle templates" and you will find links to pdf templates for Stanley planes that will give you a pattern.  Other manufacturers had slightly different angles for the tote rod, and used slightly different hardware for attaching the tote and knob, so you'd have to modify a bit depending the make of the plane.  Otherwise, you need donors from parts planes.  Generally, I've found that with the exception of Stanley, Millers Falls and Sargent VBM branded planes, spending a lot of time fabricating totes/knobs and then rehabbing 'secondary' brands is simply not worth the effort for the prices you will get for them, so if I do buy such brands they have to be complete and in good shape to begin with.  Not saying that you can't do good work with such brands, its just that the market does not value them highly and the prices you get will reflect that, no matter how well restored they are.
Thanks so much for the input! It's been very enlightening. I've rehabbed plenty of old Stanleys over the years and never thought much about swapping handles on those.

All the tools most certainly came with both handles but in most cases, the rear handle was damaged with either a split or a damaged horn. Some were still broken and some had bad repairs. I suppose trying some repairs is better than trying to make them from scratch.

Do you suppose that posting a request for the specific part with a picture of the plane would garner any replies? Seems like a longshot...

(02-05-2021, 11:13 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: Do you suppose that posting a request for the specific part with a picture of the plane would garner any replies? Seems like a longshot...

Longshot, but sometimes longshots work.... :-)
I am still looking for some extra plane handles. I will of course pay for them as well as shipping. I found a broken #5 handle that fits one of the off-brand planes I have to rehab. While I may not get one to fit every plane, I do need some around to rehab any number of planes, Stanley or not.