Hard Shellac
I read about hard shellac in a  forum from Australia. It seems to be a common, even favorite, among luthiers and others, especially for rubbed shellac finishes.

Is there such a thing here in the states? Any brands or suppliers? Any Netters here with experience using it?

I recently noticed Ubeaut showing up in the states. Are they bringing their full line of finishes, or are there regs and prohibitive standards here in the states?

I'll be following this, since I've never heard of "hard shellac". Truthfully shellac is a fairly "hard' finish. That's why it scratches so easily.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I don't know if this helps, but I just ordered some Royal-Lac from shellacfinishes.com. They also make a seal-lac a sealer. It seems to have a good reputation so I want to try it on a Mahogany chest of drawers I am making. It is suppose to be even more resilient to scratching than regular shellac. They even make a post catalyzed version of Royal-Lac. It comes ready to use right out of the can. Keeping my fingers crossed I like it, because it ain't cheap
I did find this background information. Apparently after shellac has been dissolbed in alcohol, some varnishes and other additives can be added to create a harder finish.

I found this:
SOURCE: http://www.timberbits.com/hard-shellac-500ml.html
UBeaut HDW Hard Shellac - 500ml
Ever wished you had a finish that was as easy to use as shellac but with the durability of polyurethane? Well wish no more, because here it is.
This unique Hardened Shellac creates a film with a high resistance to heat, water and alcohol, yet it is used in exactly the same was as any normal shellac. It can be applied with a rubber as French polish, brushed, sprayed and dipped.
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
After shellac has been dissolved in ethanol* it is possible to introduce additives that cause the shellac to cross link after it has dried. This cross linking takes about 20 days to completely cure, less in hot weather.

Well, it looks like something I'll never try...in store purchase only. I doubt there's a bottle within 200 miles of me. That is interesting, but it looks like you give up some of shellac's attributes..fast drying and easy to repair.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
About the only ones I see talking about it are luthiers in Aussie land. Sort of a closed trade group, maybe.

WoodFinishing Enterprises has a large selection of shellac flakes. With Zinnser Bull's Eye shellac being the only thing I can find on any store shelf, the flakes can give you a lot more flexibility with color.

https://woodfinishingenterprises.com/
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/