Router Table Adventure
I have just completed another router table:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered%20T...nture.html

[Image: RouterTableAdventure_html_m6b18e260.jpg]

This is built into the outfeed of my table saw. It features a number of interesting items: fully-functioning fence, JessEm guides, Router Raizer, Wixey digital gauge, and amazing dust collection!

The aim was to build a router table with good features, and at a reasonable cost. To do this, there is no expensive router lift, and the fence is shop-made.

I hope it offers up some ideas for others.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
OK...I'll be first.

Excellent as usual. How much time do you have in the build?
How much time? I don’t know ... it was on and off, more of an amusing side event while building other projects. Most of the time was deciding what features were wanted, and then ordering parts. And their delivery during Covid times was unpredictable and, at time, slow. The fence was quick to build, as was fitting the table and insert plate.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Why not a separate table/cabinet, instead of on your saw? Lack of room?
I put one on my saw a number of years ago, and tired of having it in the way. I used/use my saw a lot.

BTW, I like your fence.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Hi Derek,

Call me confused.

It features a number of interesting items: fully-functioning fence, JessEm guides, Router Raizer, Wixey digital gauge, and amazing dust collection!

To do this, there is no expensive router lift, and the fence is shop-made.

Do you have a lift or not? Perhaps some specifics on the DC design would help too. Sure is pretty.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(02-04-2021, 08:49 PM)cputnam Wrote: Hi Derek,

Call me confused.

It features a number of interesting items: fully-functioning fence, JessEm guides, Router Raizer, Wixey digital gauge, and amazing dust collection!

Do you have a lift or not?  Perhaps some specifics on the DC design would help too.  Sure is pretty.

Seems like he's using a Router Raizer.  In which case a plunge router is used instead of just the router body attached to a lift.  The Router raizer allows you to control the plunge mechanism of router from the top of the table.  Which therefore allows you to raise and lower the bit.
(02-04-2021, 08:49 PM)cputnam Wrote: Hi Derek,

Call me confused.

Do you have a lift or not?  Perhaps some specifics on the DC design would help too.  Sure is pretty.

Hi Curt

The set up I have acts exactly like a router table with a lift. 

If one purchased, say, a JessEm router lift ....

[Image: 61k1-Q9ee-Jb-L-AC-SL1000.jpg]

... then you add a router motor ... which also requires speed control, and a certain horse power (around 2 1/2 hp is decent) ...

[Image: MAST-R-LIFT-II-ABOVE-TABLE-BIT-CHANGES.jpg]

... and, finally, the lift raises and lowers the router so as to set the bit at the position needed ...

[Image: 71w-A9-dtq-SL-AC-SL1000.jpg]

All this is expensive! One of the local stores (Timbercon) asks nearly $900 for the lift and $450 for the motor. 

Instead ...

I use an olde (but Gold Standard) Elu 177e (this is the UK and Australian numbering) plunge router. It cost $100 on eBay (UK). One of the springs is removed to enable the up-down movement to be easier. This is 2 1/4 h.p. but is build like a tank, smooth, and minimal runout.

Ordinarily, these routers do not have the extension for the bit to be changed above the table. So, add a MuscleChuck to the collar. What this does it extend the shaft and make bit-changing possible with a single hex key ...

[Image: 3.jpg]

Then a Router Raizer is connected to the plunge router, and this places the controls for raising and lowering above the table (exactly as per a router lift). Only it is very much cheaper ($100) ...

[Image: table_adjustment.jpg]

You will not that the router in this example is a DeWalt DW625. Well, that is the same router as the Elu 177e. The Elu was the forerunner to the DeWalt. 

The original handle looked like the one above, and how I used it on my previous table ...

[Image: Router-Raizer-2.jpg]

I found this handle too floppy, and so fitted a cut-down socket driver ...

[Image: 3.jpg]

All the above works exactly the same way as the complete JessEm router table set up. But at a fraction of the cost. Possibly better than ?

One tip, for those with router tables in table saw extensions, is to use a full insert as a cover to keep out dust ....

[Image: 4.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Stwood_Why not a separate table/cabinet, instead of on your saw? Lack of room?
I put one on my saw a number of years ago, and tired of having it in the way. I used/use my saw a lot.

Building into the table saw is because of space ... or lack there of. I have a double garage, and one half holds machines including my bench. The other half I need to park my car at night as it is a rag top ..  my wife's lives outdoors
Smile  

[Image: 11a.jpg]

Not enough room to swing a cat ...

[Image: DP12a.jpg]

[Image: 1a.jpg]

Hence router table in table saw ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
Makes sense.............
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-05-2021, 01:10 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Hi Curt

The set up I have acts exactly like a router table with a lift. 

If one purchased, say, a JessEm router lift ....

Derek, Thanks for the detailed answer

I bought a Jesss-Em router lift a lot of years ago, when they were being sold by Rockler with the Rockler name. Fast forward about 16 years to the present, and I finally used it in the making of the drill press table.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard