Question regarding Powermatic 3520A..
white wire used as a hot in a light switch is very common

I think it's more like a switch leg, not officially a hot. My dad has some 50's electrical books and they show to paint those black on the ends. It shows painting grounds green
(02-10-2021, 09:27 AM)charliez Wrote: white wire used as a hot in a light switch is very common

I think it's more like a switch leg, not officially a hot. My dad has some 50's electrical books and they show to paint those black on the ends. It shows painting grounds green

White is used as the hot and black is the switch leg.
(02-10-2021, 02:20 PM)RustyN Wrote: White is used as the hot and black is the switch leg.

This.  It's in older NEC editions, and was only recently discontinued (unpowered switch legs).  You didn't even have to mark the white, as it was tied to the black conductor(s) in the light box.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(02-10-2021, 07:45 AM)charliez Wrote: "If you do any wet-sanding on the lathe (common with water for turning synthetics and with walnut oil for some woods),"

I will be making some kind of cover to go over my ways on the new PM for that time of the process.  I don't know what yet but something simple yet effective.

With the headstock, banjo, and tailstock all movable; it is hard to make a cover that works for all types of turnings.

Paper towels have the advantage that they tear apart without pulling the turner into the piece if they snag on the piece being turned/sanded.

Less safe but generally good for an occasional bed cover is a scrap/remnant of painter's plastic.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I turn a lot of green wood so I get a lot of moisture. I don’t worry about covering anything for that I just clean everything good after. When applying finish I have a small piece of scrap 1/4” plywood I set on the lathe to keep everything off.
(02-10-2021, 07:45 AM)charliez Wrote: I will be making some kind of cover to go over my ways on the new PM for that time of the process.  I don't know what yet but something simple yet effective.

I have some cardboard next to my lathe different lengths about 10" wide that I use to cover the ways. I lay from the head stock it across the banjo to the tail stock. Very simple. fold up the ends if needed.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop